Grey Pride

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grey Pride

If pride comes before a fall,I'm looking carefully for open manhole covers.

Amidst this summer of neglect and unwellness,my brown turkey,planted as a 2 yr old,18 months ago,has produced it's first ripe fig(there are 7 others which may ripen still to come).

It's funny the things that cheer you up '

I was going to put this in the 'what have you grown' thread',but the kids ate the evidence!

littlemissrose
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Grey Pride

Congrats :iconbiggrin: hope this is the first of many
My blog: https://thelifeofalittlerose.wordpress.com
My dutch blog: https://hetlevenvaneenroosje.wordpress.com has the same content bu is updated sooner.

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

ojay54 wrote: Amidst this summer of neglect and unwellness,my brown turkey,planted as a 2 yr old,18 months ago,has produced it's first ripe fig(there are 7 others which may ripen still to come).

This has got me puzzled. I've known turkeys produce eggs - but figs? :scratch:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

ina wrote:
ojay54 wrote: Amidst this summer of neglect and unwellness,my brown turkey,planted as a 2 yr old,18 months ago,has produced it's first ripe fig(there are 7 others which may ripen still to come).

This has got me puzzled. I've known turkeys produce eggs - but figs? :scratch:
Ah, but if you plant them they have nothing better to do. :iconbiggrin:

They're great aren't they OJ, I have one in an 8" pot, it's about 9 inches tall and produced half a dozen figs. I grew it from an "Irish" cutting from the tree that was taking over my greenhouse and had to go.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Can someone tell me how to do it? (Grow figs that is :lol: )

I've killed more fig plants than I care to mention, have only had one that produced a vestigial fig (that didn't progress to the real deal). I've had different types - Brown Turkey, Sweet Marseilles, have grown them in different settings - in pots, in the house, in soil in the polytunnel, taken them outside on sunny days and still nothing. I can't tell if I'm over or under-watering them, not feeding enough or overfeeding. I'm obviously doing something wrong as although we've kept some for going two or three years we've never had a fig and they always die!

I feel cheated :banghead:

Oh, and well done OJ :angryfire:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote:Can someone tell me how to do it? (Grow figs that is )
'Tis easy. Stick 'em in a pot. Pick overwintered ones in June and this year's from August to November.
What more do you need to know ? :lol:

Feed ones in pots, but don't feed when planted in the soil. Ones in pots need regular watering, but need to be almost bone dry before giving a good soak.
Oh, and remember they are Mediterranean plants not Arctic Ocean plants. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I think you mean the Atlantic, Tony :roll:

That's exactly what we've done, even down in Manchester we had no success. (I think my OH might be seeing them off - he doesn't like figs - except when he does. Boys :wink: )

I'll see how the two in the polytunnel do - they're currently buried under scrambling onion squash plants. That might not help, eh? :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

All good advice,but although they thrive in the Med,they will live outside in most of the UK .( I'm more proud of how happy it must be to be thriving so well).I've come to the conclusion that the Med conditions they REALLY need is in the growing medium.i.e. thin stoney soil.The best and biggest tree I've ever seen is not one of the many at the out-laws in Emeglia-Romagne but in a back garden in Balham,which backed on to a railway line.

They will fruit profusely if you can restrict their root run (as per Tony's pots),with our latest I used a drainage sink hole with a concrete liner that was in the patio already.If you plant one out side in say a concrete septic tank or similar,you can't go far wrong.

boboff

Quick read, I was thinking Jerry had come out of the closet!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/