Fruit trees in a damp-ish garden

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
sleepyowl
A selfsufficientish Regular

Fruit trees in a damp-ish garden

Having moved house I'm wondering if planting fruit trees in the garden might make it a little less sodden, next door grows some of his own produce so I know it wont be completely damp but, there is a certain amount of think moss in the corner of the lawn.
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Fruit trees in a damp-ish garden

Trees will help, but not with standing water or general winter sogginess - that need some sort of drainage or soakaway. But if it's just a bit of damp lawn with a moss problem, then the transpiration of a few trees could be beneficial. Although any additional shade and dryness it causes my just encourage a drier species of moss. Using a tree to fix a lawn problem is really just inviting a different problem to replace it.

Is this general sogginess, or just end-of-tether with the wet weather at the moment? - I put planks down at the weekend to move wood, and our bit of grass (not enough to call a lawn - and probably destined to be replaced with a chipped bark path) is normally not that bad. Things have just been a bit extreme this year with the rain.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

oldjerry

Re: Fruit trees in a damp-ish garden

Sleepy,it's hard to suggest an answer without more info: How big the area,d'you want to grow anything else in the same bit of ground?? etc..etc..,but here's an idea,say they're trees on a dwarfing stock M9,M27,whatever,and you're just going to grass between,then I'd dig a few 3'x3'x 5'deep sinkks across the piece,and backfill with aggregate,that will do a decent job,and not be a serious sweat.More info,more dubious suggestions....BWs.