Forest garden fruits

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
mogoli
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Forest garden fruits

Hi, I'm in the very beginnings of creating a forest garden and am considering the plants I might like to grow. My land is at nearly 200m up, in the North Devon. A south facing slope.

I really want to grow some funky fruit trees and bushes but wonder what will do well, there's still little information about these plants...

I'd like to grow sweet hawthorn species, the blue sausage fruit, Chilian Guava, paper mulberry, plum yew, hardy kiwi, Asian pears and also a hybrid between a pear and rowan - called Shipova pear.

Also wondering whether there's varieties of figs and grapes that'd do well here as the summers can be coolish.

I'm just excited by all these new possibilities.... if there is anyone out there who has experience with any unusual fruit or nuts trees and can share their knowledge about what might do well, I'd be really grateful

Thanks! :thumbright:

Charlie

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Forest garden fruits

Hi there and welcome - why not pop onto the introductions thread and tell us a bit more about yourself?
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

southeast-isher

i know there are a few books on amazon that cover unusual fruit and things in particular. may also be worth checking martin crawford's agroforestry website and shop.

boboff

The things I like are

Giant Rhubarb
Sweet Sicilly
Mulberry

And don't forget the path edges are excellent for Raspberries and currants of all types.

And as Green Aurura recommended me to Martin Crawford, I would also recommend you go on one of his weekend cources in Dartington Devon, fantastic stuff.

(Graham often offers very good advice also)
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

mogoli
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for your responce guys. I have indeed got Martin Crawford's book and visited his garden, which has been the most helpful source for me in my plans.

Yet it's very useful to hear from a wider variety of people and their experiences - a lot of these plants haven't been widely tested in the UK and I'm wondering the results from people have tried to grow unusual fruits where there is slightly cooler summers.

Grapes and figs for example, has anyone had any luck growing these at a higher altitude?

Thanks,

Charlie

scrap
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The fig variety called Turkey brown seems to do well in the Dutch climate,although not this year.
Have you looked at Pawpaws? Hardy stuff...

I've grown a grape variety called Rembrandt,it was a true wine-breed and thrived in cool summers.
Had to machete it back in shape every 2 weeks... :shock:
''I'm riding a pig and trashing things,I dunno what else I'm supposed to do here.''
(My wife, while playing Lego pirates of the carribean.)

''If you open your mind too far your brain will fall out''