MUSHY STRAWBERRIES !!!

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
greenishfingers
Tom Good
Tom Good

MUSHY STRAWBERRIES !!!

Hope someone can throw some light on this one.... some of my strawberries have gone an orangey-pink colour and very mushy. Does any1 know what's happening and how to resolve it? Was looking like it was going to be a bumper crop this year,I'll be heartbroken if I lose the b****y lot now !!! Help?!?!?
For us to lose contact with the soil results in real unease and maladjustment...to recapture it affords profound joy and inward comfort. Sam Ogden

JeremyinCzechRep
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: MUSHY STRAWBERRIES !!!

Have you had any hail recently? It sounds like it could be hail damage. If it is, fruit that comes later should be fine.
When you're sitting in your car, don't complain about the traffic. You are the traffic.
Have a look at my website with lots of photos, recipes and books

JulieSherris
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Yeah, it sounds like a cold issue - but it hasn't been that cold where you are, has it?
I have no idea apart from that, sorry :dontknow: Maybe Tony will know?
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

greenishfingers
Tom Good
Tom Good

No,lastweek or so it's relly warmed up.Befor i went away I gave all the fruit a good watering and put straw under the strawberries in anticipation of a bumper crop ! I finally get to go away for a few days and look what bloody happens as soon as I turn my back !!!! : )
For us to lose contact with the soil results in real unease and maladjustment...to recapture it affords profound joy and inward comfort. Sam Ogden

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Could be cold or that they have been baked in the sun. We've had a few that over-ripened in direct sunshine this week. They went a sort of pinky - beige colour and had a mushy texture.

Didn't affect the whole crop though and we've still had plenty of strawberries. Hopefully your crop will be the same.