Not pruning raspberries ?

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Not pruning raspberries ?

So I brought and was given various raspberries last year when starting up, some made it and some didnt. Tried to label the ones I brought [see thread on milk bottle labels, they wash off ! :roll: ]

Basically I have no clue ! :scratch:

There isnt much growth, still mostly shorter sticks in ground, so I havent pruned anything. Was thinking I would see what fruits when and label accordingly this year. Is that bad ? I am trying to kid myself I am just giving them time to get established. Duh. :dontknow:

Any suggestions ? :grouphug:
Sarah :flower:

happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Not pruning raspberries ?

:iconbiggrin: You took the words right out of my mouth!I have the same problem!!!! I planted raspeberries last year as well,and thought that one was supposed to prune out the "old"twigs?Well if I'd had done that,I would'nt gave any "twigs"left!!!! Each plant only had one twig each!!!!!So yep I'm baffled myself! :iconbiggrin: I think I will just have to leave mine to fend for themselves and see what happens???? Do yours have more than one twig each per plant?

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

err, nope, they look pathetic !

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

It doesn't matter what the varieties are, but do you remember if they were summer fruiting or autumn fruiting ? :scratch:

Autumn fruiting ones you cut all canes to ground level during winter (or now), summer fruiting ones you cut out the ones that have just fruited in late summer and leave the new canes that grew but didn't fruit.

If totally in doubt leave them as they are, it won't do them any harm, and you will soon find out which sort you have. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Not much clue, I thought I put all the early ones together in one place and the autumn ones in another bed, but then moved some stuff as some didnt grow and I got given some canes.

What happens if you dont prune ? Jungle or no fruit ?

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

sarahkeast wrote: What happens if you dont prune ? Jungle or no fruit ?
If you don't prune you will definitely get fruit, if they are autumn ones you will just get some dead canes in amongst the new canes.
If they are summer ones you will be doing the right thing anyway.

The thing to remember is that nobody prunes wild raspberries and they fruit just fine, just maybe not so prolifically and as well behaved as garden ones.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

I regret pruning mine, I've got a feeling they won't have anywhere near the yield they had last year when they were 'neglected'.
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

boboff

Prune prune prune, cut it all down to 6 inches, give it a year and they will all be "autumn" types. What ever happens, if its not fruiting its building roots and will come back stronger next time. IMO...
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

grahamhobbs

Don't prune. Complete pruning will be ok for the autumn fruiting varieties but no good for the summer varieties. You can cut out the obviously dead wood, although this is not always so obvious, so I'd suggest you leave alone, don't prune and you will discover what is what as it fruits as the year goes on. Then next winter you can prune as appropriate.

boboff

Always looks tidier after pruning though.........
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

Millymollymandy

So now you see, Boboff, that I am not the only one giving the same advice about summer and autumn fruiting raspberries. :roll:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

boboff

You like that rolling eyes smiley don't you?

It isn't the best though, using little graphics to convey your displeasure with me, still you can tut and roll eyes and things and it won't change anything will it. Both Graham and Jerry though manage to point out a different point of view without them.

Still......

Millymollymandy

That's because you haven't been trying to provoke them and tell them they are wrong when I am pointing out the correct way of growing/pruning raspberries to help people who are starting out. If you wish to do it a different way and get a reduced crop, do it your way but don't tell people starting out the wrong thing. I will roll my eyes all I like when I feel the need. :roll:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

boboff

:icon_smile:

roger ramjet
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Raspberrys have a very shallow root systems so need to develop that when first replanted. Of course you will get fruit if you don't prune, but in the longer run you will get stronger plants and a bigger yield if you are patient for the first year and prune down to about 6 inches as soon as they are planted. A good mulch also helps a lot in dry weather.

Roger Ramjet