Growing Fruit from pips (Formerly all about Lemons)

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Believe me, you really don't want blackberries (of the wild variety) growing in your garden, unless you have several acres and can leave some wild. Same goes for wild raspberries.

Selby
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Some of the seeds will germinate: the rest will be sterile.

But none of them will be true to type.

Chances are that the fruit will be small and bitter: If you're very lucky you might get the best strain of blackberry ever tasted!

Tayberries (like loganberries) are a chance cross between a blackberry and a raspberry.

A neighbour once gave us a rooted layer of a tasty blackberry.
I grow it along wires on posts (like the raspberries) and we freeze more blackberries than we can eat over the winter. It occupies an area of ground 30' by 2' (less than a path!).
Training and tying-in is a bit painful, but it saves those awful foraging trips.

njnick979
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Growing Fruit from pips (Formerly all about Lemons)

I have a lovely lemon in the garden and it fruits with no problem.
It is hardy in the UK and I got it from Jungle plants, they also have an orange but I didn't have any luck with it and gave it to my mum.
There are massive 2 -3 inch thorns on the lemon stems so be careful.

MonsieurBOZ
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi there, My lemon tree is a wee baby by comparison: bought 2 years ago from a French supermarket, with one lemon on, into which the shop's labeller had stapled the ticket. Since then no fruit... seemingly because the ants eat all the flowers. Any idea how to stop this, because from the number of flowers I would expect a goodly crop - certainly enough for a few litres of lemon juice drink.???

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have an ant problem just about everywhere too. If your ants are like mine they are probably eating the pollen, hence no fruit.
A simple and old fashioned cure for that would be to put a grease band on the trunk. That simply stops them climbing up to get to the flowers. Any waterproof grease liberally smeared onto a strip of cloth, then wrap tightly around the trunk and secure with string.
Just make sure they can't bypass the band by branches touching other plants or bushes.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.