boreholes

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
martincoult
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

boreholes

As I'm paying about 70 squids a month for water now I am thinking of how I can mebbe have a borehole drilled in my field and get it for nowt.

Does anyone know how to set about this task? ie How do you find it in the first place? Dowsing?

How much to have a borehole dug, and who do you recommend?

Do you have to have permission etc etc

Sorry to be a borehole bore

Rgds

Martin

baldowrie
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

first of all you needs lots of cash.

In Scotland dowsing is £500-£700 for one dowse!

Drilling, can't remember how much per metre, but have anything from £5000 to £2500 or more in ready cash!

and after that you have to add extra thousands for any filters you may need, you may get away with a cheap one at £500 or there abouts for a UV filter.

But then there is the possibility you may not hit water at all.

Don't get me wrong I prefer a private water supply. But you need to realise that drilling for water is extremely expensive and could just stack up the thousands as they drill.

Oh and drilling companies may insist on their own dowser which you will have to pay even if you had a dowser 'locate' water...I say locate because they are very often correct it is not an exact science and they could be way of the mark.

My bore hole I was quoted £7000, cheaper than putting in the mains water.......it wound up nearly 4 times that!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Give dowsing a go for yourself, you may be able to do it!

http://www.fdungan.com/well.htm

Above is a link from a guy who sank (sunk?, sunked?,sinked?, sankedatated?) his own well. It really depends on what your geology is like and how far down the water is........

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

martincoult
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Boring!

Hi Wombat

In fact I did just that (dowsing that is) with the old bent coat hangers, much to everyone's amusement, and managed to shock myself with some positive rod-crossing (shock horror is there a hidden talent in there?)

However, as I had a mini digger on loan, I then dug 3 or 4 feet without any success. I guess the issue is that maybe it is there but how deep?

So maybe I will have a go at the diy boring... looks intriguing

Thanks for replies

Martin

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey Martin,

I did the same thing with a similar result. Maybe the professionals could get a feel for depth, but I didn't.

If you could get access to a geological map of your area it might give you a heads up on where to look!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/