soap nuts

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
hedgewitch
A selfsufficientish Regular

Salad Fingers ROCKS!!!

:mrgreen:
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

Mirrie
Tom Good
Tom Good

Oh my gosh- dont do that to me!! I just googled "salad fingers" and realised an hourhas gone by..how funny...yet slightly disturbing is he!!! Brill :lol: :lol: :lol:
As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Well I was gonna try the soap nuts until we had the washine machine engineer out and saide what ever you do don't use them he had done 4 calls that week to repair machines that had been clogged by them :shock: sort of put me off. He also said NEVER USE THE AMOUNT OF WASHING DETERGENT THEY TELL YOU ON THE BOX!! He said you only need a fraction of it the rest is just being washed down the drain and it only makes your clothes harder and you have to use more fabric conditioner. Well I use a tiny bit now and it makes a huge difference. We use Ecover mainly cause we can't get much else on the Isle of Man ugh

Someone mentioned Sheep poo and Ecover......I wash Saffie's nappies with it and they always come out clean...maybe sheep poo is more staining then the human variety lol

blondiegreen
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I've been using soapnuts for awhile, and never had a problem with them clogging my washer. Mainly I use the liquid, so that would eliminate that problem right there. Put 6 or 8 soapnuts in a quart size glass jar and fill with boiling water. Let steep a few hours or overnight.

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ahhhh that sounds better they wouldn't clog that way. I use reusable wipes for my baby do you think that solution would be good for soaking them in to use on her bottom or would it be too harsh for the skin??

blondiegreen
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I tried using soapnuts liquid in my diaper wipes solution, and my daughter broke out in a horrible rash!!! I tried it a few times, and it was always the same. So... I wouldn't suggest it, but go ahead and try for yourself. Maybe it will do that to everyone, or maybe it was just sensitive for my daughter.

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

er no won't chance that thanks for the info

hedgewitch

If you place the soap nuts in an old sock and tie a knot in the end then nothing will clog up your machine. Just remember to take the nuts out of the sock in between washes otherwise they will go mushy (so I've been told).

I absolutely LOVE soap nuts and I'm eagerly awaiting my order from the UK.
Hopefully there will be a seed in one of them and then I can grow my own soap nut tree.
:flower:
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

I knitted up a quick baggie for my soap nuts. Took about a half hour and there's no problem with them escaping!

Love the things though, I ordered a big batch to share with my mama and her fiancé, they've gone down a treat!
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette