Where can I bulk buy vinegar and things for cleaning?

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
Islay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Where can I bulk buy vinegar and things for cleaning?

I'm finally beginning to run out of my last bulk buy of method products, and I'm determined to give cleaning with more natural (and, crucially, cheap) stuff, so I thought I'd try some of the vinegar/bicarb etc combos that are recommended all the time.

So, can anyone (a) point me in the direction of where I can buy bulk quantities of these things (preferably from a british/eco source) and (b) give me some 'recipes' for cleaner etc?
http://www.islaybower.typepad.com
Finding, making and baking

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where can I bulk buy vinegar and things for cleaning?

I use summer naturals too :cheers:

I will post some eco cleaning recipes for you later if that's OK :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Islay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thank you, will check out summer naturals.

Annpan I will await eco cleaning recipes with baited breath!
http://www.islaybower.typepad.com
Finding, making and baking

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

If you are near a chinese supermarket you can usually buy 5litres of vinegar and 3kg Bicarb at a time for a reasonable price
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Rosendula

Just been looking at the summernaturals website and they do 25kg sacks of bicarb. Does anyone know how big this will be please? Bit short of cupboard space here!
Rosey xx

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

25kg is like a big sack of potatoes. we buy 25kg bags of flour and its too heavy for me to lift. the bags are over 1/2 a meter high and about just under 1/2 meter wide. if thats any help. its heavy.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Rosendula

Sorry Demi but it's nothing like a sack of potatoes. Lay 4 potatoes on a table next to each other as close as they will go and notice the amount of space between them. You don't get that with bicarb*. Thank you so much for taking the time to measure it though, it's really appreciated. :icon_smile:

I asked the same question somewhere else, too and received this absolutely awesome reply
"Bicarb has a higher density (689kg/cu m) than wheat flour (593) but a lower density than granulated sugar (849), so the dimensions of the package will be between the two of those. In other words, 25kg of bicarb will take up less space than 25 1kg bags of flour but more space than 25 1kg bags of sugar."

*edited to say you do get that with bicarb of course, but it's so tiny it's insignificant.
Rosey xx

boboff

Is it just me, or is that just slightly pickie Rosey?

You ask a question, you get an answer and spend the time working it out just to say the person who generously replied to your question was wrong?

Odd. You don't happen to run the 2nd Biggest VW Camper Van forum in your spare time do you?

Oh and I am not being definately argumentative, but I am sticking up for Demi, as I just had a little rant about her anti monarchist opinions, and I hope in some way this show it wasn't personal!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Rosendula

I did thank Demi for taking the trouble to measure her potato sack and reply, Boboff. I need to have an idea as to whether or not a 25kg sack of bicarb will fit in particular cupboard. A 25kg sack of spuds won't go near it. As a 25kg bag of bicarb WILL be a fair amount smaller than the same weight of potatoes, the answer could be that it will fit. Going by the other answer I received (and quoted), I think it will . If I had just gone with Demi's answer, I wouldn't buy the bicarb.

Yes Demi did very generously provide an answer, but it was a wrong answer! What should I do? Just go along with it? This wasn't about opinions, it was about measurements. What if I had asked if how big a 25kg sack of feathers was and someone had said it's the same size as a 25kg sack of stones? Would it be considered 'picky' to point out the error?
Rosey xx

boboff

Yes
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/