Alternatives to the Mooncup? (a women only thread i guess!)

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
Miffy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Alternatives to the Mooncup? (a women only thread i guess!)

Hi!

Last year i bought a mooncup and have tried several times to use it but i just cannot get on with it - i find it way too painful, which i am a bit gutted about tbh.

Can anyone suggest any green alternatives?

Thanks

Miffy

hamster
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Alternatives to the Mooncup? (a women only thread i guess!)

You can get washable pads. Quite pricey to buy enough to start off with, but may still be more cost-effective than buying disposables.

I think there are some sponges or something which work on the same principle as tampons but are washable. Haven't tried them myself though.

If you go to the WEN (Women's Environmental Network) website they have a pamphlet about it which is really useful and which I'll dig out the link to when I'm not supposed to be grinding spices for curry.
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I know that this is probably an unnecessary suggestion, but have you cut enough off the tail? When I first got mine I was a bit scared of cutting of too much and having difficulty retrieving it. Oh boy did it hurt. You only need a few mm really.

It might be worth trying - they're so expensive to just give up on.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

JulieSherris

I've had my Mooncup for a couple of years now & bought a Femmecup as a spare a few months ago - although the day it arrived, my youngest daughter pinched it!!

Miffy, how have you found it painful? As Maggie said, have you trimmed the tail down enough? I just have the smallest amount that I can have - it's slightly ridged anyway, so I found the tail was surplus to requirements.

I know that it took me a few cycles to feel really comfy with it, but after that, I have never looked back! The daughter has also battled with hers, & now has the hang of it - much to the boyfriends relief - she used to send him out at all hours for 'supplies' before, due to erratic periods!!

If you want any further intimate discussion, Miffy, feel free to PM me - I'm not at all shy on the subject :mrgreen:

Julie.
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

eccentric_emma

Oh yes it can be painful at first but definitely keep trimming the tail. I dont have one on their at all and have no problem retrieving it! Also I found it a little difficult taking it out and that is where I had the most pain - mainly because I hadn't been folding it up to take it out (owwie) so it made the skin really sore.

But after a few months I was away and now I barely notice it!
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maggie

bluensm
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I think the mooncup is great too and worth sticking it out for the first couple of months. I've been using it for years now and wouldn't change!

However, when the flow is light I prefer to use washable panty liners and find them really comfy too, much nicer than the disposable ones! I brought some and made some too. They weren't that difficult to make, so long as you have a reasonable sewing machine you should be ok (I did them on my 104 year old Singer sewing machine!). There was a really good link on the internet that I found but I can't find it now.... Just google it maybe, there's lots of advice out there. My OH has even got over putting them in the washing machine too :cheers: .

Miffy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hey, cool...thanks for posting everyone. :lol:

I found it really painful to put in and take out, but i would have perservered (sp?!) if it hadnt felt like it was burning me whilst it was in me! I do have quite a light flow (now that i have them controlled by the pill :roll: ) so i guess that might play a part in it.

I will try it again though as i really dont want to continue with tampons. Unfortunately i had a really bad time with pads as a teenager and i am quite phobic of them now :roll:

Thanks for your posts guys!

Miffy

Lynda_2008
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

If you haven't seen this site, it might be helpful: http://menstrualcups.org/

Absolutely everything about cuppies and a nice helpful and active cuppie forum. :)

Lynda

JulieSherris

Miffy, have you tried using a water based lubricating gel on the rim as you fold it?

My youngest daughter has the femmecup & that only comes in 1 size - she uses KY... and if not available, she's been known to use her durex gel too!

It might be worth a try - maybe you're just a sensitive gal! :wink:

Julie.
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Helsbells

Has anyon heard of or tried sea pearls before, they sound intreguing...

http://www.seapearls.co.uk/convenience.php

hedgewitch

I was so excited when I first got my Mooncup I was actually looking forward to getting my period that month, BUT OH BOY!!!
It hurt, it hurt a lot. The second month I didn't even use it but I was so disheartened as it was something I firmly believed in and not just for the environmental impact either but for the health of my vagina as well.
So I tried again. Still hurt.
In fact I avoided emptying it so as I wouldn't have to go through the whole kerfuffle.
But I stuck with it and I read the booklet that came with it back to front to see what I was doing wrong. There are some really good tips in that there booklet. For instance, the way you fold the cup to insert it and that if you coopy down on your haunches you will find it easier to insert and take out. And also when you take it out to release the vacuum by squeezing the sides of the cup first and easing it out a bit one side and then a bit the other. And to relax when you put it in AND take it out.
I'm so glad I persevered with it though, because now it is like second nature and I don't even think about it.
All in all it took me three months to get the hang of it so definitely persevere with it.
Good luck!
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gor'struth! I must have been really lucky. I bought mine tried it, had to trim the tail a bit further and Bob's yer uncle. No problem since. I think I might have given up if it had hurt for days.

But keep on trying, it sounds like it's more a problem of technique rather than it or you. It really is worth it.

It's not just a disposal issue either. I used to have really heavy periods and found the mooncup was the only thing that could cope with the volume - I was continually flooding pads.
Maggie

pureportugal
Tom Good
Tom Good

Helsbells wrote:Has anyon heard of or tried sea pearls before, they sound intreguing...

http://www.seapearls.co.uk/convenience.php
i've used them and they were great ... but ... they were so comfortable i actually did forget i was using one and forgot to take it out. no pleasant and i've been too scared to try again.

i now use the washable pads. if you're going to go for the washable pads i'd recommend the patterned ones - i went for natural unbleached ones and after a while, despite careful soaking and washing, they've become stained (i'm embarrassed to hang them out to dry now).
Property for Sale in Central Portugal:
http://www.pureportugal.co.uk

Quinta das Abelhas:
http://www.portugalsmallholding.org

Helsbells

[quote][i've used them and they were great ... but ... they were so comfortable i actually did forget i was using one and forgot to take it out. no pleasant and i've been too scared to try again. /quote]

I am interested in these, I had a look at a moon cup in real life, and really think I am too squeemish to even put it in!

The sponge looks better to me, but how do you get it out with no string?