Ethical products - do they make jobs harder?

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
cthb
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Ethical products - do they make jobs harder?

Hi guys,

I am researching ethically-minded products and their effectiveness. I'd be grateful for any comments on ethical products you've used that really work - and also those to avoid!

Are there any products you use because they are the ethical option, even if they make the job slower or harder to do?

Is the ethical slant to the marketing of any product just a gimmick to suck in well-meaning people?

Very interested to hear from your experiences

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Ethical products - do they make jobs harder?

Hi cthb
Welcome to SSish. It'd be nice to know a bit about you. I'll happily give you my opinion when I've more idea who I'm talking to.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi
I'd be interested to know why you are carrying out the research? Are you a reporter or a student?

Anyway, I use soap nuts on coloured and dark washing. I use co-op's ethical washing liquid for lights and I think both do as good a job as normal soap powder.

Vinegar is good as a limescale remover but takes a little bit more effort than some of the commercial products. That's no bad thing though as a bit of elbow grease at home saves a trip to the gym.

Ecover washing up liquid works as well (in my opinion) as other washing up liquids but some question Ecover's ethics.

The Fee Fairy's shampoo is MUCH better than commercial stuff.

Vinegar in hot water makes the best wallpaper stripper I have ever come across.

Zoe

cthb
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi,

I'm gathering material for an article on marketing ethical products for a magazine called 'The Marketer'.

I'm particularly interested in finding out if ethically-minded people will choose an ethical product above a commercial one, despite the fact that they may not actually be as good at doing the job as the commercial alternative. This could have implications for how marketers should/need to promote ethical products.

Also, it's interesting to know about ethical products that DO make the job easier - a win/win product.

And finally - any products that have been marketed as ethical but in fact are exaggerating claims or being misleading about how eco-friendly/ socially responsible etc. they actually are - so-called greenwash marketing; an unethical and illegal practice that marketers should be warned not to do.

All comments welcome. This is more to inform me and give me background so I am very unlikely to want to directly quote anyone, but do say if you would prefer not to be quoted all the same.

Thanks!

Eigon
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

To tell the truth, I get confused by all the products that are out there, so I tend not to buy anything unless I really, really need it - and I don't have a dirty house.
I use Ecover washing powder, washing up liquid and all-surface cleaner, and their gentle cleaner for my wool for spinning.
I clean my windows with lemon juice, and sometimes old newspaper, though this doesn't seem to work as well as when my gran used to do it (maybe it's me).
I use Vanish on some stubborn stains - I have no idea what's in it, but I reckon that the tiny amount I use can't hurt that much when other people are throwing chemicals about with gay abandon.
I'm also still using up several Christmas's worth of soap, so I didn't choose the varieties there.
"The best way to get real enjoyment out of the garden isto put on a wide straw hat, hold a little trowel in one hand and a cool drink in the other, and tell the man where to dig."
Charles Barr

ina

cthb wrote:This could have implications for how marketers should/need to promote ethical products.
In any case - as little as possible. I don't buy anything that's heavily marketed. The marketing in itself is unethical, I feel... Of course, you need information on the product - but, for me, that should be just a list of ingredients on the packet.

Since I don't really buy "unethical" products, I couldn't actually tell you whether they'd make my life easier!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

I use soap flakes, bicarb, citric acid, washing soda, liquid castile soap, essential oils and vinegar - that pretty much covers all my personal and household washing and cleaning requirements. I've not noticed my life being any more difficult or harder work than when I bought in products, except, of course, that I have to make my washing powder, liquid, etc, but I don't scrub my clothes by hand.

I use a 30 degree or cold wash in my A-rated washer) and on the rare occasions I have to use my tumble dryer (being on the north coast of Scotland it's sometimes needed) it's A-rated too and gets used on the cold setting. All my other appliances are A or AA rated and I use the car once a month to go shopping (although it is over 200 mile round trip).

An ancient Indian proverb states "Cleaning something is always involved with dirtying something else". I live by this maxim, only cleaning what is dirty. The odd stain is unimportant.

Probably not a good target for marketers, and I often find specific advertising campaigns so insulting that I wouldn't buy that product under any circumstances. I'm also largely cynical about any big company or supermarket that markets themselves as "green" or whatever current.
Maggie

Helsbells

I use ecover products for cleaning and washing clothes.
I am afraid I am fairly stuck in my ways when it comes to stuff I use on my body, so I use what I have used for years rather than anything eco friendly.
I am more drawn to things that are advertised as being eco, but usually prefer to go for a company which is trustworthy such as Green people.
I have noticed that many producs advertise themselves as being "natural" but when you look more carefully they may only contain something like 1% lemon juice for example.

missy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i use ecover washing up liquid..today i took 2 bottles to my local eco store at the garden centre to get them refilled. the price difference being about 99p in the shop for a new bottle v's 80p to have a refil...
Missy
photographer and mother of 3
http://missysx.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dear cthb

Although there have been several responses I'm not sure any of us have answered the original question.

I don't speak for anyone else on this site. But I have observed, on this and other threads, that many of us choose products to save energy (both in use and production); that contain fewer harmful chemicals; that reduce transport requirements; and various other related issues. Not many of us will manage 100% but we do what we can and obviously some of us will prioritise one issue over another.

I haven't observed any threads about products making life harder or easier - it doesn't really seem to be a consideration. We're not, I believe, scared of hard work. Many of us grow, cook and preserve a lot of our own food, bake our own cakes etc and many of those who don't often profess a desire to do so if their living conditions allowed.

Having said all this, I'm not wholly sure what your question really means - harder for whom or what? It takes no more effort to use my homemade washing powder, fabric conditioner, deodorant etc than their high st equivalents, and I enjoy making them in much the same way that I prefer to knit a jumper rather than buy one. Often a great deal more satisfaction can be derived from the "harder" way. For me, a large part of this is about taking back control of my life, what I put on/into my body, use on my laundry etc.

I've not opted out of modern life. I have satellite TV, broadband, a car and all mod cons in the house. I try to use them wisely and not beat myself up if I use the tumble dryer.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit pompous. It's not intended to. But your thread has been niggling at me for days now and I finally felt I must answer.
Maggie

Flo

cthb wrote:Hi,

I'm gathering material for an article on marketing ethical products for a magazine called 'The Marketer'.

I'm particularly interested in finding out if ethically-minded people will choose an ethical product above a commercial one, despite the fact that they may not actually be as good at doing the job as the commercial alternative. This could have implications for how marketers should/need to promote ethical products.
Soda Crystals and distilled vinegar have been in use since my Granny used them before I was born nearly 63 years ago. I've been perfectly clean all my life. You can't see the difference between the washing I do using Soda Crystals and the washing done by the person in the flat upstairs who uses Bold. As I pay around 55p a kilo and he pays over £5 I'd say that I'm on to a winner. Plenty of older people I know use soda crystals for cleaning and their houses are perfectly clean (possibly not quite up a Forces march out but then most of us don't live under a military regime :mrgreen: ) and they don't spend their life at the doctor's or in hospital.
cthb wrote: Also, it's interesting to know about ethical products that DO make the job easier - a win/win product.
I'm not into elbow grease but my house passes muster as clean without slavery using soda crystals, soda bicarbonate and vinegar with Faith in Nature washing up liquid. They are also in the main cheaper than standard commercial products - the washing up liquid is a little more expensive than the cheapest stuff in the supermarket but as it lasts considerably longer it's in effect cheaper. I'd put the shampoo from Faith in Nature under the same heading - a little more expensive to buy but it lasts longer because you need to use less. It's neither easier or harder to use than any other shampoo. How do you measure hard to use?
cthb wrote: And finally - any products that have been marketed as ethical but in fact are exaggerating claims or being misleading about how eco-friendly/ socially responsible etc. they actually are - so-called greenwash marketing; an unethical and illegal practice that marketers should be warned not to do.
I'm not one for believing the marketing or sales pitch for any product. Having been married for long years to a high level salesman I'm fairly proof to selling and marketing - I know how it works thanks :mrgreen:

But if you look at us on this forum - we ask each other about our experiences with green products and go from there. I also read a forum based on green issues where you can ask others how they have found a product which claims to be environmentally friendly and whether they think it works. What suits one person may not suit another. You keep track of products, read the labels and if it doesn't work for you - then you move on.

I'd rather talk to a friend and see how they get on with green products before I consult the marketing - but then coming from a family with a track record in being green perhaps I'm not your best case study :mrgreen: :wink:

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

I avoid heavily advertised products - if they are paying that much to advertise then I really don't want it.
I wouldn't buy anything thats marketed as 'new' in cleaning products as that means years of animal testing and although not an activist in that area I disagree with the concept.
Mainly I use Borax, Washing Soda, Salt, Bicarbonate of Soda, Vinegar, lemon juice, linseed oil, beeswax, some old brands and water.
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

angiemilton
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

When it comes to buying anything I always ask if there is something that was used before all these modern stuff, my best buy was a book of garden and household information printed in 1900,s it tells how to make and do nearly everything without using loads of new chemicals. When I go abroad i come back loaded with natural olive oil hard soap great for most things. My problem is what does a product really mean about calling itself ethical?

chrissie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I`m a new convert to eco friendly living but like one of the posters above have not opted out of modern living in that I have t.v. broadband central heating etc.

BUT I am gradually replacing ALL my household products and personal products with chemical free ones.

I only use degradeable black bin liners and food bags etc.

I have an eco button which saves energy on computers etc

I work from home so cannot keep logging off and logging on.

I leave nothing on standby if its not in use to save energy.

We are so lucky these days as everything to do with eco friendly products can be sourced easily.

I haven`t found any of these products to be harder to use as the original post asked - if anything they are more effective.
Although my son misses the nice smell of conditioner in the washing now I`m using soap nuts and complains his clothes don`t smell of anything!!!!!!!!

tough!!!

chrissie
More than a business: A way of life!
http://www.we-go-eco.org.uk

moonbeam
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi All

New to this forum too - I like Chrissie went a little 'greener' too at the turn of the year - no eco warrior though and I only subsituted what I used for cleaning, laundry, personal products for eco friendly stuff.

As time goes on I too will be using more and more eco friendly products - love soap nuts too - brilliant.

www.big-eco-buzz.com