The cellar !!

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: The cellar !!

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:31 am

There are a few differences that I can think of, off the top of my head.

Cider is brewed like beer, a short fermentation then bottling, with or without the addition of sugar for a secondary fermentation. That gives an acohol content of 4-5%ish. It is made purely from apple juice (pressed apples), no added sugar necessary, although may be added, and less vigourous yeast is used. It's often not cleared giving the scrumpy type cider.

Wine is made from apples, or juice, in water, with the addition of sugar and yeast. A much longer fermentation, gives 10-13%ish alcohol. All sorts of pectin clearing things are used to give clear wine. It generally doesn't need ageing (only wines containing tannin need that) but because the fermentation is so much longer it can take 6 months to a year before it's even bottled. You can probably be drinking your cider within a month.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

old tree man
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:14 pm

I'll try to help, as you both have wrote some books and people say country wine can't be drunk for two years :angryfire: absolute rubbish i'm afraid, i drink mine a couple of months after fermentation has finished, i do agree if you have the willpower to leave your wine (i don't :oops: ) it will mature and will taste better over time, i've been making wine, beer, cider sloe vodka and gin for over 40yrs now and i change my approach to certain things yearly mainly tips from other people and advice from some of the older country folk i worked for and met as a forester which i found to be the best advice ever.
When it comes to apple wine and cider is that in my understanding is that when i make cider i do not use yeast i allow the natural yeasts and sugars of the different types of apples to ferment themselves, i do not add any sugar and usually get a good specific gravity reading for my alcohol.
So when i make apple wine i use yeast to ferment my apple juice that i pressed from the apples i have collected and add sugar, this does ferment quicker as you are introducing and active ingredient which will make a lighter fresher taste.
I hope this has helped :flower: :flower: :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Weedo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:42 am

Thanks all
The difference is logical and as I imagined, however some of the recipes about seem to cross over the dividing line.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

BernardSmith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:57 pm

old tree man wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:14 pm
I'll try to help, as you both have wrote some books and people say country wine can't be drunk for two years :angryfire: absolute rubbish i'm afraid, i drink mine a couple of months after fermentation has finished, i do agree if you have the willpower to leave your wine (i don't :oops: ) it will mature and will taste better over time, i've been making wine, beer, cider sloe vodka and gin for over 40yrs now and i change my approach to certain things yearly mainly tips from other people and advice from some of the older country folk i worked for and met as a forester which i found to be the best advice ever.
Gotta totally agree with you. If you make an unbalanced wine (too much sugar - so too much alcohol for the flavors) or you stress the yeast (underpitch or too high a temperature fermentation) then it might need to be aged to allow problems to dissipate but in reality a bad wine does not improve as it ages. A good wine - that is a well made wine can and does improve as it ages but it is still very pleasurable to drink weeks after the yeast has finished working - and like beer, you do want to allow the yeast time to clean up after themselves and they do.