Pressure Barrel

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Stoney
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 0
longitude: 0

Pressure Barrel

I have a budget wilko's pressure barrel i have only used once. I have recently bought a Co2 injection system for it and so i can't wait to test it out with the pale ale i am currently brewing. As i have not used this before i wonder if some one could give me some advise. Do i need to prime with sugar when i add the beer or can i use the Co2 when i add the beer? Or if anyone could point me in the direction of some suitable instructions for using Co2 in pressure barrels it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stoney

vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Pressure Barrel

I'm interested too, I've the pressure adapter for the same barrel but never used it yet ...

Taf
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I think that most people still prime the barrel, as it would take quite a bit of c02 to get the same amount of carbonation. When I had pressure barrels, I primed the barrel, and then only used the c02 bulbs when pressure got a bit low, so you could get a good pull again.

geordie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Taf wrote:I think that most people still prime the barrel, as it would take quite a bit of c02 to get the same amount of carbonation. When I had pressure barrels, I primed the barrel, and then only used the c02 bulbs when pressure got a bit low, so you could get a good pull again.
This was my way too.

vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Can you over-pressurise the barrel?

geordie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Assuming you are using a youngs plastic pressure barrel, I did once put some bitter into a barrel before it was brewed out, then added sugar. A few days later the concave bottom popped out, there was that much pressure in it!

If you brew properly one gas canister will not over pressurise it.

Stoney
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 0
longitude: 0

I'm actually going to prime the barrel with 80g of sugar and use the c02 when the pressure has dropped. The valve i bought has a pressure release valve so you can't over pressurise apparently.