Begineers Beer recipe

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Begineers Beer recipe

Hi People

I've been brewing country wines and all-in-one home brew kits for a while now as I need an affordable decent ale (none of this lager stufff) in Hungary.
I'm looking to move to brewing from Spray Malt, Hops and yeast. I was hope that people could point me in the right direction with a suitable beginners recipes/tips
Some simple ratios, anything I've forgot/etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Stoney
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 0
longitude: 0

Re: Begineers Beer recipe

Hi Andy,

I have also been brewing all-in-one single can beer kits, however, i find them a little insipid and cidery even with spray malt and brewing sugar. My next move is going to be trying a "dry" kit once i purchase a pan large enough to use. Possibly something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hambleton-Bard- ... B006826832

ALso i have the Boots Home Wine Making & Brewing book which is full of recipes of what you are looking for :

ISBN: B004TEXFBE
Title: Boots Home Wine Making & Brewing : New Revised, Enlarged Edition
Author: B.C.A. Turner

hope this helps!

vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I can't source kits like that here in hungary, hence the semi-back to basics recipe request
I might have the same book somewhere too :)

Bryan Davison

Hello buddies,
There are so many different recipes for beer that have been passed through ancestors to many European Families.On searching on google, I find one site [link removed by mod] which includes variety of ancient, new and unique brewing making strategies. They are using the recipes that their ancestors used and seeing if they can do what they did and that are creating great tasting beer. I have noticed that British people frequently use wheat for make beer more delightful. Just like in barley the grain is steeped in cold water, allowed to germinate, and then carefully dried.

EDIT: Hi Bryan, we don't allow newbies to include links until you've posted 25 posts here. Why don't you pop over to the introductions thread and tell us a bit about yourself?

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

absolutely simple one
1lb (450g) malt extract
1oz (25g) hops (say 20g bittering and 5g aroma, something like challanger and fuggles)
8oz (225g) sugar
1 gal water
ale yeast.
Place ME, sugar, water and bittering hops into a large pan (put the hops in a muslin bag for ease). Bring to the boil and boil for 90mins. At 80mins throw in the aroma hops. At 90 mins cool (if possible). Once down to below 30C pitch the yeast. Take SG reading. Give it about a week to ferment then take another SG reading, if it stays the same over a few days then bottle.
This recipe only makes a gallon, but just increase the ingredients to the volume you want (except the yeast)