Dehydrator recipe ideas anyone?

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
JoseyJo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Dehydrator recipe ideas anyone?

Hi, I've decided I'll get a dehydrator for my birthday next month :icon_smile: so now want to get thinking of what I'll do with it.
I like the idea of vegetable and fruit crisps, and fruit leathers. Am veggie so no use for jerky type things.
What do people do with their dehydrators..... any good recipes would be appreciated.
(Planning on probably getting this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-De ... pd_cp_kh_0 Andrew James rectangular one - not top of the range but seems to have some good reviews for the price and can add trays if needed. Any other recommendations welcome though.)

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Dehydrator recipe ideas anyone?

I dry all my excess herbs though the summer and make them into teas though the winter
and excess fruit just get dry then soaked in water and just in any fruit recipe
you can use any of the dry fruits in cakes and muffins
Darn that Wabbit

JoseyJo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ooh great idea with the herbs, I was just deciding what to plant on the allotment - trying to stick to perennials and easy to care for things, so a big herb patch with some of the herbs I like in teas will fit in nicely!

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

fruits are good, say if you manage to buy cheap bananas and pineapples, you can dry them for use in muesli and snacks. I dry lots of tomatoes and then store in herb oils, lovely snipped onto winter salads and in pizza. Dried some onions which I thought was a bit of a waste of time, but no, they have been so useful as I have run out of fresh now so just chuck some into whatever I am making. I have an Excalibur and their book is really brilliant, I haven't tried many of the things yet, but planning on doing something every week out of the book.

JoseyJo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We sometimes end up with onions or mushrooms (shop bought) that it's hard to use up before they start to go bad - I hadn't really thought of using it for them - looks like I'll be able to use it a lot! Do you keep things like the onions in jars/tubs until you use them?

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I keep them in glass jars, like large mayo jars and flip top kilner type jars. I have a very concentrated mix of onion, garlic and tomato that I put in the processor to powder. that is great if you want a concentrated flavouring for soup or sauce

JoseyJo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

mmm, sounds lovely!

me-o-matic
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

We just got one.

Has anybody made any nice crisps? The kids are asking.....