Award winning fruit vodka

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Pumkinpie
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.8
longitude: 1.6

Award winning fruit vodka

I was amazed today when I won first,second and third with my raspberry, cherry and damson vodka at my local allotment show. It was the first time I had entered any liquid refreshment. Looks like my friends could be having some award wining fruit vodka for presents at Christmas.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Award winning fruit vodka

well done :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
you might like to try rose hip made some 3 years ago as I had a bottle of vodka sitting around and some rose hips forgot about it for 2 years it is really good lone wished I made more did last year but it needs a lot of time but it worth the wait :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:
Darn that Wabbit

Carltonian Man
A selfsufficientish Regular

Well done you!

Have some foraged black cherries in the freezer at the moment. Would you be willing to share your prize winning recipe? Please :occasion5:

Pumkinpie
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.8
longitude: 1.6

All I did was put some lovely ripe cherries in a large jar and poured vodka over them. Left it for about two weeks. Strained off the cherries and added sugar to the red vodka . I think it was about half a cup of sugar, just until it was beginning to not dissolve easily in the liquid. I put it in a cool dark place and forgot about it till the show. I only made a small amount so I am saving it for Christmas.
I picked a load of blackcurrents today and I found a bottle of gin I must have bought about 20 years ago in the back of a cupboard. So I might have a go at making blackcurrent gin. I dont think gin goes off. I wonder if it has a use by date on it or if its too old to have one.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I made some blackcurrant vodka and plum gin, they are really easy to make but the trick is as you say pp to forget about them and let them do their thing, I made these back in Feb with frozen fruit, had a taste the other day and they will be thick with good legs ready for the winter. Well done with your wins, I never grow anything that would win any prizes lol

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've made crab apple vodka and orange vodka along with sloe and damson gins but have found that starting with a decent quality spirit in the first place plays a part. I've had one batch being noticeably worse or harsher than another using the same recipe but using cheap "happy shopper " spirit.
A related question, I've always put almond essence into my sloe gin as I tend to think it improves it .Some recipes say no essence some say to add it, what are people's preferences?
Another question, my wife recently brought some toffee vodka and very nice it was too. Would it be possible to make that at home too using vodka and ,well, toffee?

Pete

Carltonian Man

Skippy wrote:I've made crab apple vodka and orange vodka along with sloe and damson gins but have found that starting with a decent quality spirit in the first place plays a part. I've had one batch being noticeably worse or harsher than another using the same recipe but using cheap "happy shopper " spirit.
A related question, I've always put almond essence into my sloe gin as I tend to think it improves it .Some recipes say no essence some say to add it, what are people's preferences?
Another question, my wife recently brought some toffee vodka and very nice it was too. Would it be possible to make that at home too using vodka and ,well, toffee?

Pete
If you're using Happy Shopper spirit, adding a little cane sugar will soften out the harshness. I don't add almond essence to sloes but I guess it's down to personal taste. And finally toffee voddy recipe..

One pack of Werthers Originals (the original hard candy type) poured into a bowl with a bottle of vodka and stirred daily until fully dissolved. When finished keep the bottle in the freezer and shake well before pouring. The same recipe works well with clear mints too.

:drunken: enjoy

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for that CM werthers and vodka on the shopping list it is then.
I did try the cane sugar in the cheap vodka and although it did help a bit but there was still a discern-able difference.

Pete