Processing firewood - some tools and tips

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Processing firewood - some tools and tips

British Red wrote:
As for protective gear using a chainsaw - I don't think of it as high tech - just common sense. Chainsaw injuries are horrific and fast. Sure you might not have one. You might not have an accident in a car either - but seatbelts are still a good idea.

Well you'd proably even safer in a car with a full face crash helmet and a fireproof suit.........

I'm all for economising, and yes, a second hand saw, or home made saw bench, are a great way to do it. But I absolutely wouldn't suggest economising on chainsaw boots, trousers or a helmet - just my opinion - your life - your risk :)

The helmet is largely superflous (if your mad enough to drop a tree on your head..well the bash hat probably won't save you) the most dangerous thing is an ill maintained chain.

Look I'm not arguing with the excellence of all you do,I would just hope that people working on a slightly reduced budget aren't put off with any irrational feeling of inadequacy.
(A couple of close friends are tree surgeons and I have a licence,though I obtained it via' grandfathers rights'.Though we'd always put on all that clobber when on a job,at home ,well just be sensible).

delineator
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Shame
Looks a great bit of kit, I could always knock one up out of timber, but the metal ones are much lighter and easier to store away I think .
I'll take a good look before I decide to make one.
Thanks again

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

All,

Found those saw horses - Landmann brand. Still fairly cheap (£35 plus delivery)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDMANN-LOG- ... 58938abfe6

Hope that helps!

Red
Com on wanre niht scriðan sceadugenga

delineator

Great stuff
Many thanks for taking the time it's much appreciated.
Cheers

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

oldjerry wrote:
British Red wrote:
As for protective gear using a chainsaw - I don't think of it as high tech - just common sense. Chainsaw injuries are horrific and fast. Sure you might not have one. You might not have an accident in a car either - but seatbelts are still a good idea.

Well you'd proably even safer in a car with a full face crash helmet and a fireproof suit.........

I'm all for economising, and yes, a second hand saw, or home made saw bench, are a great way to do it. But I absolutely wouldn't suggest economising on chainsaw boots, trousers or a helmet - just my opinion - your life - your risk :)

The helmet is largely superflous (if your mad enough to drop a tree on your head..well the bash hat probably won't save you) the most dangerous thing is an ill maintained chain.

Look I'm not arguing with the excellence of all you do,I would just hope that people working on a slightly reduced budget aren't put off with any irrational feeling of inadequacy.
(A couple of close friends are tree surgeons and I have a licence,though I obtained it via' grandfathers rights'.Though we'd always put on all that clobber when on a job,at home ,well just be sensible).
For those that want less clobber! A set of Chainsaw chapps + good boots and hearing protection are a reasonable comprimise.

The hard hat with visor are not a bad idea when splitting as bits can flick up easily, but they dont have to be top of the line super expensive to work (for splitting)
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

boboff

I can't wear ear defenders they make me really jumpy if I can't hear and see something out the corner of me eye, you don't want to be constantly being surprised with a chain saw in your hand, same with MP3 players I can't wear them for long in the Garden, it makes me anxious!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

the gypsys here cut peoples wood for them.
they've got this kind of car/tractor/saw thingy that they put together themselves out of various vehical parts.
the ride arround in them and go to peoples houses when they get logs delivered and split them all for them with the saw running of the motor on the car thingy. they charge around 50 denars per cubic meter, which is about 80p :lol: but they must make enough money out of it as everyone burns wood here as its cheaper than electricity and we theres no mains gas in macedonia.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

boboff wrote:I can't wear ear defenders they make me really jumpy if I can't hear and see something out the corner of me eye, you don't want to be constantly being surprised with a chain saw in your hand, same with MP3 players I can't wear them for long in the Garden, it makes me anxious!

Boboff - have you tried active ear defenders? They have a mic on the outside that send all sounds to internal speakers so you can hear as normal. The mic cuts off when sounds reach dangerous levels and comes back on as soon as it drops back. Very useful for intermittant noise like sawing or shooting. Cheap enough too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRONIC-EA ... 231bf5065d

boboff

Wow what a brilliant idea! It's funny how if you have a problem, then probably someone has had it before and thought of a solution!
I'll give them a go, might look daft in my Trainers, shorts and T shirt, but hey it's a start.
(oh and when the misses shouts for something you can hear her and ignore her without getting blamed!)
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

Bulworthyproject
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Great thread. We use all the safety gear, but then we'll have the chainsaw running all the time for a day of felling and when you get tired it is easy to make mistakes. All the farmers round us laugh at our level of safety gear and then in the same breath tell us about the horrific accidents that they and their friends have had.

We've got a maul, but never use it. We bought some Fiskars splitting axes and they are expensive but light and effective. It is worth it because we make charcoal for a living so use them enough to justify the cost. You can swing them all day long without killing your arms.

If a log really won't split, it goes in the centre of the kiln and becomes charcoal.
https://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk

Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working

Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Would love to see some photographs of your charcoal operation Bp - do you use charcoal kilns or something home made?

Its a skill I have always wanted to develop but never have :(

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

boboff wrote:I can't wear ear defenders they make me really jumpy if I can't hear and see something out the corner of me eye, you don't want to be constantly being surprised with a chain saw in your hand, same with MP3 players I can't wear them for long in the Garden, it makes me anxious!
Neither can I Boboff, including MP3 players the same as you.
It always strikes me as rather odd that school children and youths are taught to wear ear defenders (and all the other gear) every time they use a hammer, or a drill, or an angle grinder, or a mowing machine, or anything that makes a noise above a whisper and when they've finished they plug MP3 buds in their ears and blast techno pop into their brains.

I can't (won't) wear steel toe capped boots either, every time I bend my feet the back edge of the toe cap pivots round and tries to chop my toes off.
Which does rather defeet :iconbiggrin: the object of wearing them (sorry).
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

boboff

It was the same in the factory I used to run, H&S wanted all the Staff who were mainly Kurds to wear ear defenders on the production and labelling line, they didn't want to as they couldn't hear the radio, which by necessity had to be louder than the machines (80Db?), plus if you had to shout to keep them out of harms way, they couldn't hear you, ironic most of these guys were hard working, glad of a job, and had come from a country where bombing and shooting was the norm, only to be told that they MUST wear them. I obviously think people should be given a choice, have the risks explained and then make up their own minds, but that is not the way modern day Britain works anymore!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Red's methods are certainly the standard to aim for.

However, I have a cheapo Bosch chainsaw which has satisfactorily cut down some 30 trees which were superfluous to requirements (and then cut them into manageable sections to be transported to my sister's house, as she's the one who has a wood burner). I'd never do it without goggles - that just makes so much sense - but, to be honest, the noise level doesn't get anywhere near damage levels (less than 85dB C, I reckon). Apart from that, I've always considered everything which could happen BEFORE I started any cut. It's that consideration which, I believe, is the most reliable form of safety gear - if you don't know what's going to happen when you make a cut, don't make it.

All the trees are down now, and gone - so I don't really care if the chainsaw never sees the light of day again. But it's still perfectly operational and effective. So, I think that if you're going to be doing this kind of thing on anything like a regular basis, then get yourself kitted up. On the other hand, for occasional purposes, there may be cheaper ways to achieve an end just as effectively.

And I'm totally with Odsox on steel toecaps. Bloody dangerous things if you ask me.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

boboff

You can't beat a pair of tan Ruggers in my opinion.

Crap boots but they make nice ornaments to put pots in after.(my soles split after two years, I have Dickies boots my 1st Wife bought me 18 years ago, which are still going!)