Dandelions

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

Dandelions

I've had a bit of a search on here and on the web and I thought it's probably best to come here for some advice.

I'd like to make both dandelion wine and dandelion jelly. As clanpowell is yet to get back to me with their recipes (useless! :roll: :wink: ) can anyone advise me on some really simple recipes please?

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dandelions

The second of these recipes ...

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/dandelio.asp

...is about as simple as it gets. Just remember that you don't have to be totally anal over removing the green bits - just get what you can.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Out of curiosity Mike, is dandelion wine the diuretic it is reputed to be?

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life

That's fab, thanks. What's a quart? - I'm always put off as aren't there american and english quarts - how do I now which to use? :dontknow:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jon - yes, I've read all the tales, based upon the dandelion's alternative name of piss-a-bed. It may be true if you eat a lot of dandelions. However, I've never noticed a diuretic action from dandelion wine. Well - no more so than with quantities of any other wine, anyway :iconbiggrin:

P&P - It is a US site and uses US measures. However, it makes so little difference in a recipe like this. Measure your dandelions by compressing them SLIGHTLY in the container, and you won't go far wrong. If you're feeling uneasy, increase the dandelions by 5% or 10%, or add a couple of handfuls of sultanas, or add a litre of supermarket grape juice (or even apple juice would work with this). Some people would also add a knob of bruised root ginger - but dandelion wine always tastes gingery to me without that addition.

Mike

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have heard of the tale that if you pick a dandelion you will wet the bed that night - maybe that's related to what you're saying? I have found it not to be true though as I'm sure many many others have too!

Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

well the french name for dandelions is pis-en-lit -- or wet the bed -- so there must be a connection somewhere!

I've got this Dandelion Jelly recipe saved:

http://www.culinarycafe.com/Sauces-Mari ... Jelly.html

Not actually tried it - it takes an awfull lot of dandelion petals and i got fed up of my hands being stained yellow as i was separating the petals from the yallow bits.

Stickweaver
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

My first ever dandelion wine is in its third day of fermentation. I used the recipe in Andy's book' Booze for Free'. It had better be good as I spent half an hour collecting a carrier bag of dandelion heads in the rain (it started when I began picking and ended when I stopped!). I then spent almost 3 hours pulling the petals off the stalks as I read that any green bits would make the wine bitter. Oh, and don't wear cream trousers when collecting dandelions. :wink:

boboff

I made dandelion Tea yesterday, it tasted Rank!
Anyone else tried this? I boiled the whole plant with Bicarb, and drank the juice, it was strong as I boiled it in a pressure cooker and left it a while. I am going to try nettle next, again any tips from anyone?
I have decided that if you want to be self sufficient you should really try and eat the stuff that does grow around you!
Dock Pasties anyone?
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Well here's how I make dandelion tea, which doesn't involve either bicarb or a pressure cooker. Take 6-8 flowers, remove most of the green bits (leave just the bit that holds the flower together, though you could remove that too if you could be bothered). Add hot water and leave to brew as you would a tea bag then either fish out the flowers or if you're feeling posh, pour through a strainer. That's it.

As for dock pasties, did you see Demi's recipe?
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

boboff

I tried it and it was ok actually thank you.
I added a bit of Lemon Juice as well.
I am going to try the dock leaves as well!
Nettle Tea is also on the cards.

Thank you.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

"ok actually" sounds like a big improvement on "Rank" :lol:
I quite like it, myself, but I'm not a big fan of nettle tea. I do use nettles in cooking, though. They go very nicely in a salmon and cream pasta sauce, but as two of those ingredients are rather expensive (and the OH doesn't like fish) it's a while since I've had that! Here's another recipe I like: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blo ... -pies.html
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

BristolKnitter
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi this is not a reply to the original question but is about dandelions...

I have tried making Dandelion Champagne from the Booze for Free book but after 5/6 days in the fermentation bin nothing has happened - apart from I now think the mixture is going manky... any suggestions?

thanks

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can guess.

That's a no-yeast recipe i.e. it depends upon a few wild yeast cells getting into the dandelion liquid and beginning a fermentation. If you don't get the yeast, you don't get the fermentation, so no bubbles.

On the other hand, it may have happened without you noticing. When you say the mixture may be going manky, what do you mean exactly? A brew in which a fermentation HAS started can look awfully manky. If it smells OK and has no signs of mould growth, than it's probably good to go.

Smell it. If there are no adverse whiffs, take a small sip and taste it. If it tastes OK, it probably is OK. But can you feel bubbles on your tongue? If you can, carry on to bottling (making ABSOLUTELY sure that the bottles are the type which can take pressure). If you can't, try adding some yeast (wine yeast is best, bakers yeast will do) and then waiting the four days again. As you're only looking for a fizz rather than a full-blown fermentation, about a quarter, even an eighth, of a level teaspoon of yeast should do it.

Obviously, if the brew does NOT smell OK or if there are any off tastes, down the drain it goes and update your experience counter.

Mike

EDIT: Oh, and if all goes well, chill the bottles throughly before you open them. Unless you like dandelion-coloured ceilings.

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life

Marmalady wrote:well the french name for dandelions is pis-en-lit -- or wet the bed -- so there must be a connection somewhere!

I've got this Dandelion Jelly recipe saved:

http://www.culinarycafe.com/Sauces-Mari ... Jelly.html

Not actually tried it - it takes an awfull lot of dandelion petals and i got fed up of my hands being stained yellow as i was separating the petals from the yallow bits.

1pkg of pectin - what's pkg?