Anyone tried this method?

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
dan-dan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Anyone tried this method?

Hi all,
Has anyone tried this method of quick alcohol?

http://www.homeboozekit.com/

I gave it a try and after four days when I unscrewed the top we got the kitchen re-decorated in a lovely shade of pink??? Fizzy just doesn't describe it enough :lol:

Where can I get the 118 yeast? Will anything else do?

At present I've a couple of gallons of MKG's "Fastest Ever" on the go. It's as active as hell!!

Got the kids to clear out all the old flavoured T bags from when they were on the health kick (hah!!!) so I've plenty to go at if the current ones are ok.

Barry.

irigg
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Anyone tried this method?

sounds like a recipe for pop bottle rockets to redecorate your house in a multitude of colours :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

At £1.20 for 5 grams, that's expensive yeast. It does what it says on the tin, though (as long as you have good temperature control and follow the rehydration instructions scrupulously). But the overdose of Vit. B1 which I tried in the "fastest ever" thread was designed to imitate the EC-1118 characteristics, and it obviously works better at lower temperatures then the Lavin yeast. It's also cheaper by a large factor, as it uses GP yeast (about 5p a gallon as opposed to that £1.20).

I had a quick look at the homeboozekit method, and I think I agree with irigg - although I'm not at all sure what they mean by "place the bottle cap upside down". If they mean don't screw it on tightly, then fine, but screwing that cap down would produce, as irigg says, a pop bottle rocket.

If you want to try it, though, the Lalvin yeasts are available from most homebrew suppliers (just Google for "UK winemaking supplies").

Oh - and hi, dan-dan :wave:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

dan-dan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Yup,
I've given up on the homeboozekit method. Unstable just doesn't quite do it justice!!
I've found a couple of different methods of usinf fruit juice for a quick wine.
I'm just SO impatient for last summers wines to be drinkable... I need alcohol NOW :lol:
Barry.

dan-dan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Forgot to mention...
In my first batch of MKGs brew, I forgot the lemon juice :oops: Will it make any difference.
Today, 11 days on, the brew is still bubbling at 1 bloop/4 seconds !!
Barry.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just shows how good the method is :lol:

The acid does two things ... it creates a favourable environment for the yeast AND it stops the wine tasting flat (and it also takes part in the long and slow chemical reactions of a maturing wine, but this wine isn't meant to get to the mature stage). If you'd put it in at the start, the fermentation would have been faster. But you can still add it. At this stage, though, I'd have a sip of the wine so that you can judge the amount to add a bit better.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can't follow the link at the moment, but i think this was mentioned on another of my forums - is this the jobby that claims to hit 20-22% or some BS like that?
IF so, don't bother it uses a nasty turbo yeast that will make your head and taste-buds wish they had never been born!
Can only see a bit on the google cache- anything done in 4 days is likely to be fairly rough due to the high level of nutrients required to get the (large) quantity of yeast to work that fast (even to get it to 12%).
Time is your friend when brewing, as is patience.
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

dan-dan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks Mike. Followed your recommendations. Taste at the moment ain't too bad :drunken:

Frozenthunderbolt..As you say, the taste-buds are to valuable to abuse (famous last words :lol: )
The 4 day stuff has now been disposed of !!

Barry.

dan-dan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Just got back after being away this weekend.
Went up to check the wine and the second batch I put on (12th Jan) must've had a growth spurt :?
From normal fermenting when I left it on Friday it appears to have frothed into the bubbler :dontknow:
It's still bubbling at a reasonable rate of knots :icon_smile:
Any ideas what's happened? The temperature in the area they are stored is reasonably consistent.

Barry.
If you don't fall off you'll never learn how to get back on !!

This e-mail is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

dan-dan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Just racked off my first MKG brew after 20 odd days.

Gorra say it's tasting bloody good, not at all what I expected, thereagain, I don't know WHAT I expected from T bags :dontknow:

The three remaining batches are still bubbling at a good rate of knots..

Just noticed in my daughter in laws monthly mag (Farming News or something like that!!), the recipe for prison booze. Got to give that one a try :lol:

Barry.
If you don't fall off you'll never learn how to get back on !!

This e-mail is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.