Brewing with bulb fennel

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Brewing with bulb fennel

We have a glut of bulb fennel. As it smell similar to pernod, my hubby, who does all the brewing, asked if i thought it could make a wine. I suggested he boiled the fennel and used the water to make the brew, this is what he does with a variety of veg.

Anyone ever made wine with fennel? We'd appreciate and suggestions.

irigg
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Brewing with bulb fennel

hi i've never brewed with fennel but heres a link to jack kellers recipes for fennel wine
hope this helps you

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request123.asp

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

A bit of chemistry for you. The reason Pernod goes cloudy when mixed is that the terpenes from the anise used to make the drink are insoluble in less than 30% alcohol. Fennel is also rich in terpenes so, if you make wine from it (which will never go above, say, 15% ABV) it may well turn out irretrievably cloudy.

But I might be tempted to have a go at a fennel licqueur. A small bulb of fennel, a few ounces of sugar and a bottle of cheapo vodka should do the trick.

Or it may turn out to be vile. Oh, the joys of home-made plonk!

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Will give it all a try, hubby was hoping to make pernod!! We have marrow rum brewing, and have also made cranberry gin and vodka before, will try lots of potions and let you know what worked and what didn't

Thanks, Lisa x

hedgewizard
A selfsufficientish Regular

:drunken: Why would anyone want to make pernod? Got paint to remove or something?
http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk - polytunnel offers, reviews, and more self-sufficiency information than you can shake a chicken at

Carltonian Man

The best Pernod looky-likey I've made was using Prestige Pastis Essence. Add it to a bottle of the cheapest vodka you can find along with 28 grams of sugar and away you go.