cider presses

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

cider presses

educate me oh wise ones

i have a big apple tree

i have a barrel

i have an obsession to feed

:lol: :lol:

what do i need to know? can i make one/bodge one?
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: cider presses

I think freezing reduces allot of the aggrevation.

When thawed chop and you could proabably get a fair bit out using jelly bags or pillow cases etc etc.

Or you could just chop and put the pulp in a barrel when its a bit cooler and go for a sweeter "Keeved" cider, basically fermet the apples in a barrel and then syphon off the cider once it's been fermenting for a while, apparently you get more Pectin out of the apples, which inhibits the fermentatin and gives you a sweeter cider.

I bought a press from VIGO, it was about £100, its the wooden block type, I broke the stainless steel type after one year!

There are also "cider clubs" here and there where you can take your apples to them from chopping and pressing, thats a good idea?
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

grahamhobbs

You can make a press using a hydraulic car jack quite simply using some biggish timbers and some bolts. You can also make your own grinder (to chop up the apples) although this requires a bit more in the way of DIY skills, otherwise chopping with a knife can get a bit tedious.

What sort of apple is it, unless it is a Dabinett or Kingston Black (hopefully I've remembered them correctly, pretty much the only apples you can make cider out of a single variety) it will make cider but do not be surpised if it is a bit bland.

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

no idea what they are the tree was already here when i moved 10 yrs ago! looks like a pink lady but crunchy like a golden delish and is sweet but dry if that makes sense!
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

The car jack press (I think it's a bottle jack?) always looked good to me. You can buy (or make) a chopping attachment for an electric drill - a long shaft with a couple of not very sharp blades. The shaft is supposed to pass through a hole in the lid of a bucket to do the chopping. At high speeds, you learn why that's a good idea.

Unless you're an absolute purist, you can always add a bit of flavouring to an insipid cider.

Mike

EDIT: Here you go ...

http://www.van-vliet.org/dempseywoodwor ... ress.shtml

And a much cheaper version ...

http://www.the-gift-of-wine.com/cider.html
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

grahamhobbs

The Dempster one looks more like a wine press. You normally don't use a basket, the hoop of staves, to press apples, which means the press is that bit simpler to construct.

Usually they are pressed in a stack of 'cheeses'. The apples an inch or two thick laid on and wrapped in rectangular strong sacking type material, stacked one on top of the other and then pressed. I assume this is because of the greater percentage of pulp in the apples compared with grapes which would make pressing with the basket so much more difficult.