Lemon hooch recipe ?

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Lemon hooch recipe ?

I am sure I saw a simple recipe for Lemonade with a kick !

Anyone help me out, I brought 1l of Robinsons lemon squash today, ready to get it started. Keen or what ?!!!!

Cheers in advance
Sarah :flower:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lemon hooch recipe ?

Contents ... Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Metabisulphite), Sweeteners (Aspartame, Saccharin).

I seem to remember that recipe too - I'll remember where it is soon. In the meantime - you pick 'em, don't you? :iconbiggrin:

Whatever the recipe is, you're going to have to boil that stuff to get rid of the sodium metabisulphite. Some people tell me that also gets rid of potassium sorbate. I haven't yet seen any evidence for that claim, but the amount of sorbate present wouldn't usually stop a fermentation (sorbate is sold as a wine stabiliser as it prevents yeast cells from multiplying). In any case, you're not going to end up with anything dry - yeast is incapable of metabolising either aspartame or saccharin, so whatever sweetness they impart will also be in the finished product.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Argh, you scare me, I did look at the list briefly, but figure I wont be drinking a lot of it. Tend to go for simple/clean food in what we eat most of, the rest that is now and again I am less fussy about. Well try to stress less.

Anyways, I only have 1liter, so will need to scale it down or get some more. Or try and get some Rocks Organic or similar. Means a trip to the dreaded Sainsbarf, as cant get it locally in the village. Nothign is ever simple is it.

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Found this

200ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
300g sugar
Zest of 3 lemons
Water to make up to 1.5l

Add all to pan and Boil for 5 mins
skimm off scumm
sive to remove zest
put in mini demijohn/growler
let it cool and add a pinch of yeast (in this case, just baker's yeast as it's all I had lying around - I plan use a heffeweizen yeast or similar)

Estimated OG: 1.063
Estimated FG: 1.016
Estimated ABV: 6.13%

A little 'cleaner' but another trip to the store. Ho hum.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry - didn't mean to scare you, only to call your attention to it. Don't be scared of metabisulphite - it's there to introduce a source of sulphur dioxide, a very ancient preservative which dissipates very quickly and cleanly. The boiling just makes sure of that. I use sorbate myself sometimes to stop a fermentation at a stage before complete dryness, and I still have only the two heads. But I do think that both saccharin and aspartame is a bit over the top.

Your fresh lemon recipe looks good. But beware - I make that final ABV value about 9.5% :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for this recipe Sarahkeast. just a quick question I only have a gallon sized demijohn will it be okay in that ?
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

That is what mine is in trinder and it is bubbling up a storm.

Sarah

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

Will this taste anything like Limoncello when it's done/ If yes, I might have a go :iconbiggrin:

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

my hopes are that it might taste like the Irish Potchin xxx
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

What's Irish Potchin?

Does it taste like Limoncello? :icon_smile:

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Aspartame is evil! *shudder* My brother and sister-in-law think I'm odd for checking the dilute juice ingredients when I go around, but I'm allergic to it and I don't want my kids having it.

Won't rant on about it though. Just wondering, how long til it's drinkable? I have a bag of lemons that need using.

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

hi Ruth G I am told it is a highly potent and illegal whisky made in rural parts of Ireland. Distilled to a strength twice the alcohol content of anything you could buy. But sorry it was a joke . MKG has already posted that it will be about 9.5 which is I think less than a good bottle of wine.

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sarahkeast, is your lemon hooch still in its demijohn? How do I know when to move to the next step? Oh yes what is the next step?

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yes it is in there right now. Plan to bottle it tomorrow for camping trip with brother at the end of the week. Then start another batch if it is good

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Anyone else getting a little worried about Sarahkeast. She went off camping with a bottle of hooch. Never heard of again.
Seriously Sarahkeast how was it ?

OOps just realised you posted on the other lemon hooch thread. Phew :wave: