Tiny Flat Homebrew

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
rjt88
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 51.5475
longitude: 0.0071

Tiny Flat Homebrew

Hi all,
I'm currently a 'homebrew spectator' owing to my pitifully small flat in which the temperature fluctuates wildly, but read these threads and think 'ooh, wouldn't that be a lovely thing to do'. A single demijohn would take up about half of my kitchen space, but I wondered whether there was any way of brewing anything on an even smaller scale that wouldn't be too adversely affected by changes in temperature. Or should I just resign myself to a life of shop-bought booze until I get somewhere bigger? If anybody has any thoughts, please let me know!

Rob

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tiny Flat Homebrew

Wow - that IS a small kitchen. But yes, you can do it on a slightly smaller scale. Get yourself a couple of 2 litre PET bottles (as in Coke or lemonade) and use those for fermentation and storage vessels. Just remember not to screw down the caps on a fermenting brew!!!!! And you'd have to get out your calculator to work out how to change the recipes for 2 litres as opposed to 4.5 litres (1 gallon if you're not in the US). You can overcome fluctuating temperatures by wrapping any fermentation in something cosy - a towel, bubble-wrap, the dog's blanket - anything you can think of.

The problem is that if you like the results, you'll soon have multiple PET bottles on the go. At which point a demijohn would be your next purchase ... and so on.

Anyway - give it a go. What have you got to lose?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

rjt88 wrote: A single demijohn would take up about half of my kitchen space
:lol: I had a kitchen like that when I lived in Shepherds Bush. A Housing Trust special :lol:

Your demijohn doesn't necessarily need to be in the kitchen though - tucked behind a chair in the living room works just fine too, or in the airing cupboard (if you have such a thing).

I agree with Mike - once you've got the bug you'll need a demijohn anyway - have a look in charity shops, that's where most of mine came from.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I use the 2 litre glass bottles that you sometimes see scrumpy being sold in when I have made over a gallon or even a milk bottle both take and airlock and a bung pretty well.

I started my homebrewing in a one bed room flat and I put up some shelves behind the kitchen/living room door and this worked pretty well, in fact I brewed 84 litres of elderflower champagne and stuck the bottles on these shelves.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Well, I'm living, making wine, propagating yeast, and all-grain brewing in a pretty small one bedroom flat... There's 3 5-gallon pressure barrels in the bedroom, and another pressure barrel and the dedicated beer fridge in the living room. The living room also contains my 30-litre boiler, mash tun, hot liquor tun, and temperature controlled fermentor (all tucked away under the computer desk except when in use). There's a magnetic stir plate and a couple of demi-johns of wine (needing filtered and bottled) on the desk, a range of laboratory glassware scattered throughout, and a tupperware box containing my yeast library in the bottom of the fridge. My 40-bottle wine rack is in the back of the wardrobe, and there's crates of beer bottles on top of all the cupboards... The freezer's full of hops and I've got a large plastic crate containing my grain store under the laundry basket in the bedroom. It can be done! (As long as you're single... :iconbiggrin: )

Now I'm trying to figure out where to put a proper lab microscope and a temperature-controlled microbiological incubator...
Cheers

Dunc

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad to see you have your priorities right, Dunc. Excellent use of space.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

MKG wrote:Glad to see you have your priorities right, Dunc. Excellent use of space.

Mike
x2 :cheers:
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength