Ginger Beer Secret

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.

Ginger Beer Secret

Two tips for ginger beer.

Soak some grated ginger in a cup of red wine for 2 days, then dump both the wine and the ginger into the ginger beer while it ferments.

Tip 2. Don't underestimate how much sugar is in it. It's quite more-ish and can cause low blood sugar if you drink too much.

Oh, and don't go to the sauna after drinking a bottle!
Three tips.
:lol: :lol:

diver
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi, I used to make ginger beer years ago but have lost the recipe...does anyone have a good and not to complicated recipe for ginger beer, thanks

Moorf
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

When I was a kid there used to be talk of a "ginger beer plant" - was this myth or is there such a thing!

I love lashings and lashings of ginger beer :mrgreen:
Canterbury, New Zealand
http://leggattnz.blogspot.com

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Proper fermented ginger beer does involve a ginger beer plant, but it's not the sort you grow in the garden. It's basically yeast - you start off with a sort of sludgy mess in the bottom of a pot, and over a few days you add sugar and ginger and other stuff, and the sludgy mess grows.

Eventually, you strain the sludgy mess out, and you find it has doubled in size, so you can make twice as much next time, or give half away to your friends and relations. This is, in effect, an organic chain letter that keeps multipying every time it is used. You will soon find you have lost all your friends and your relations disown you.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Moorf

Good grief - that's amazing! :cheers: Thanks for that... (was I the only one who didn't know that?!! :oops: )
Canterbury, New Zealand
http://leggattnz.blogspot.com

ina

No, you weren't!

In the 80s we had a similar "organic chain letter" in the shape of a cake starter (kind of sourdough with fruit in it!). For whatever unfathomable reason this was called Hermann. We were all thoroughly sick of Hermann after a few months.... :pukeright:

Ina

albert onglebod
Living the good life
Living the good life

we did the ginger beer plant thing the year before last.You stick some fresh yeast,water sugar and ground ginger in a container.every day for about a week,add 1 tsp sugar,1 tsp ginger.When its been a week,add a gallon of water to the liquid from the first potion and seal it in a container.The sludge thats left is the plant and you can start a new batch with it.It freezes too for later starting.You can drink the ginger beer after about 3 weeks.
We ended up giving it to the slugs as everybody had had enough ginger beer to last a life time.

Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have a ginger beer plant fizzing away on the windowsill nearly all the time,I had no idea that the sludge could be used to start the next batch,Ive been chucking it on the compost heap! DOH!
Now, what did I come in here for??????

hedgewizard

My great-uncle Sam used to do this. He said that the sludge improves over time as it gets used to the ginger.

Mind you Sam made wine out of matches once on a bet, and used to get taken to court every so often for operating a potcheen still!

Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

So if I distilled the potato wine???????
Now, what did I come in here for??????

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

you'd get Popskull!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

hedgewizard

Yup, that's potcheen. You have to be very careful to exclude the methanol, which gives the drink its reputation for striking people blind. Sam used to do this by letting the start of the distillate dribble onto the ground, now and again letting a drop slide down the side of a glass and watching carefully for any mistiness when it hit the water. When that stopped, he was good to go. I'm not sure how reliable it was though!

Stonehead

Ginger beer plants, rye leavens, poitin. Ah, the joys of yeast.

If you'd like something with a hint of ginger, but rather more kick then may I suggest treacle ale...

You will need
* 1 large tin golden syrup
* 1 medium tin black treacle
* 1lb sugar
* 16 pints of water
* 2oz yeast
* 1oz ground ginger
* Rinds of two lemons

Rehydrate the yeast in tepid water with a little sugar added.

Boil the water in a large pan and then stir in the syrup, treacle and sugar. When the syrup, treacle and sugar are dissolved, vigorously stir in the ginger and lemon rind. Cool to 25C, pitch the yeast and stir again.

Divide the wort equally between two 1 gallon demijohns (a funnel is recommended!), cover both with muslin secured with rubber bands and leave to stand in a warm room for 24 hours.

After 24 hours, replace the muslin with airlocks and leave for another three days.

Syphon off the ale without disturbing the sediment and bottle (again, use a capper if possible). Keep for at least a week before drinking and preferably a month. It can be a bit strong while the ginger leaves a nice warm afterglow...

As for poitin, a good starting point is a nice, strong barley wine made with bruised barley, potatoes and raisins. Not that I'd know myself.

Stonehead

Luath
Living the good life
Living the good life

Gotta try that one; I love store cupboard brewing. Thanks. :lol:

Shirley

THAT sounds delish!! Golden syrup and black treacle in my cupboard - got some brewing stuff but will have to keep eye on freecycle/ebay for more.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/