Rosy with Cider....

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Moorf
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Rosy with Cider....

I have heaps of apples and I want to make cider! But.. I don't have a press - can I work around that?!! And can I mix up different apple varieties to use them all up? And, and... can anyone here give me a tip or two - and, err, a recipe? Fizzy recipe please, bad memories of camping in Newquay on the flat stuff :oops:
Canterbury, New Zealand
http://leggattnz.blogspot.com

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Well there's this on the main site.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Moorf

Ah.. yes.. there it is... :oops:

Thanks!
Canterbury, New Zealand
http://leggattnz.blogspot.com

woolcraft
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Some years ago made a more than passable 'cider' type drink using loads of windfall Discovery apples, a 5 gall. plastic fermenting vessel (bucket type) with a fermentation lock pushed through the top. To apples, roughly chopped I added water, sugar and yeast - simple as!! I left it until it stopped bubbling, and then a further two weeks before weakness got the better of us and we drank it over the next few weeks.

It was refreshing, fizzy and effective. It formed a fairly firm sedament at the bottom of the vessel so we just scooped it - rather than bottling it on. I think you could probably take it a stage further and do a second fermentation with champagne type bottles. I might well try it this autumn. Anyone who tries it in the meantime, I'd be interested to know the results.

Good luck,
Sue

glenniedragon

windfall apples

I did pretty much the same with the surplus apples I had last year I passed them through my food processor and then strained the pulp through one of my large jelly bags. I did bottle it thought- I syphoned off into 2litre plastic bottles and added a teaspoon of sugar to kick off secondary fermentation.......It was lovely! nice and fizzy like proper cider I had loads of compliaments ver christmas for it- even hardened local cider drinkers!!! :drunken:

kind thoughts
Deb

Shirley

I have no apples... but yet I would like cider... :mrgreen:

Perhaps later in the year we will try this from our trees.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I made cider using that recipe and the trick is to leave it for a bit longer and perhaps reduce the sugar. It makes very potent stuff so be carefull :drunken: It is also very sweet so unless you like that then do reduce the sugar.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging