Hello :-)

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
charlie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello :-)

Just thought I'd say hi to everyone.
We've just (a couple of months ago!) taken over our first allotment.
Wow, what a huge amount of work to do before we even see our rewards.
So far we've dug up so many stones and shards of glass!!
Guess things will pick up next year!!
Anyway, hi again to everyone. Hope you all will be able to help us later....... :wink:

gunners71uk
A selfsufficientish Regular

hi charlie. i have had my allotment 3 monyhs and have cleared it all it was hard work but just got to dig out the couch grass route etc i would take a quarter of your allotment dig it clear it and get it ready find out the soil type and, then move on to the next , you can either go for the way of keeping all weed off your allotment and have it like a show garden or just keep them down so your crops dont get swamped. clear a bit and put some broad beans in nov aquadulcia a winter hardy varitie they eill be ready a couple weeks before other peoples who sow in feb , get a garlic bulb from a supermarket or market split it up and put that in in nov you might just get some over wintering onions in like japanese varitie or radar etc but you need to be quick, if you know some one who has spring cabbage plants you can get them in but be quick ie within the next week or so.i will put some links for sites which may be of use.
www.alanromans.com
www.westsidegardener.com
www.gardeningpatch.com
www.nickys-nursery.co.uk
ihope this of use if the links dont work go in to a search emgine and type them in. all the best from gunners alias dave from worksop notts.

charlie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi, thanks for that info. I'll def try to get down to the allotment over the w/end and pop some garlic in.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Charlie,

Nice to see you here, I hope you enjoy the site!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ina

Hi Charlie

Welcome to the site and thanks for reminding me that I need to get some GARLIC..... Very important! :mrgreen:

Unfortunately weatherforecast is absolutely miserable for the weekend. Brilliant sunshine for Monday, though. Tough on those of us who have a "normal" job for a living.

And I don't want to put you off, but stones seem to grow almost as fast as weeds. Can't understand where they all come from, but I seem to be digging them out non-stop. :shock:

Don't let that stop you enjoying it!

Cheers
Ina

Millymollymandy

Hello Charlie and welcome to the site. Have fun with your allotment!

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi and welcome!

I, too, have been digging a lot of glass out from a neglected garden - I wonder what the people who put it there were thinking... did they imagine it would decompose? Or just not care what happened? I can't imagine putting it in there for any reason!

gunners71uk

yes i have found glass on my allotment too. its crazy found no coins or treasure yet.

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

No treasure here either. Lots of bones though, which is a bit of a worry! :pale:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi there charlie and welcom to the site. I just had to give up my allotment recently (getting a garden though, so not all bad). Can be pretty socialble places I hope you enjoy/are enjoying it.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

charlie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi,

Yup, have been enjoying it immensly (?).
Unfortunately haven't had much chance to get down to the allotment this past week due to work committments :-(
So far, people have been pretty sociable,getting some ideas from them.