hi from Libran

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
libran
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

hi from Libran

Hi I'm pretty new to this chat type thing but I am very interested in trying to grow my own veg and manage things as organically as poss. My husband thought I was barmy at first but I think he's sort of getting interested.I have a small garden that is very much in need of a work over so started by getting a compost bin. That's working (I think). As soil is not good and inundated with slugs where I live I have started with tubs in a small way. I think I left it a bit late this year to get seeds planted and mot many garden centres with veg plants round where I live - just outside Sheffield, North Derbyshire.
Now got herbs growing, (slugs love the basil) tomatoes, peppers, peas, runner beans, mixed lettuce and a cucumber. Have had one giant cucumber on plant but rest weren't growing so have cut cucumber in hopes that rest will swell. Am I doing this right. Heavy rains came so thought I could miss the watering for a day and as if by magic overnight I got mould like growth on leaves of cucumber which I think from checking my gardening book is mill dew. Is all lost now? any advice would be appreciated.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G' day Libran,

Nice to hear that you've started moves to become self suffcientish!

Mildew is not a problem with vigorously growing plants but towards the end of the season it seems to be a problem (for me too!). You can try fungicidal herb teas, but I will have to look up what they are (just got to work!) tonight.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

Welcome Libran,

Good to know that you've got started on the herbs and composting. I started with our small compost bin and get some lovely rich stuff out of it now.

Keep us informed of your progress. I always get excited about harvesting my few veg. (Probably over excited really!) It's very satisfying though. :lol:
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

gunners71uk

slugs use a bit of bitter in a shallow dish, and drink the rest yourself,the slugs will get drunk and die,in australia do they prefer fosters or xxxx
all the best dave

2steps

hi there

my nan told me to use beer for slugs too

good luck with your plans :)

libran
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

thanks for the welcome

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Didn't expect replies so soon. Will give the beer a go for the slugs - just hope my cat doesn't drink it. We have a small pond in the garden and all the local cats come to drink from it. Thought next year I'd try to get some frog spawn and see if we can get a few frogs. Hoping for a hedgehog but only seen dead ones on the road so far!! Maybe one will find its way up the hill to me! Will try to reply to you all individually if I can where appropriate but time is short sometimes in the evening. I work as an accountant during the day so I am up at 5.30am and sometimes not back until after six.

ina

Hi libran

For a beginner I think you've got quite a lot already! I've never been lucky with cucumbers myself, so I'm not the right person to give any advice...

Yes, cats love beer, too. I remember some that used to lick the tops of empty beer bottles that were awaiting removal in the hall...

Try the local vet's for a hedgehog. Last time I was there, they told me they'd had one handed in. And just then a policeman came in and brought another one - somebody had dumped it on them! (If in doubt, go to the police...) Or maybe the local branch of the RSPCA knows where to pick up a hedgehog?

Cheers
Ina

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Libran,

I am not being snobbish, I tried to reply to your PM but the silly computer won't let me! some problem that requires debugging!

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Sue
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hello there - fellow Northerner!

Well - hello - I too am from Sheffield - the North side - but we still have slugs - mine often come with shells too - which are quite handy as handles - and I know how cruel this sounds - but you can throw them further
(did I tell you my only joke - Q "what does the slug say to the snail" - A "Big Issue!!!")
My mum has just been here for a few days and stabs slugs with joy - ugh - sorry just can't - and because I gave in and used slug pellets I daren't feed them to any birds or my beloved frogs
As far as a hedgehog goe - does anyone know how I stop him legging it once I build him a home? any clues on hedgehog home building - I'm sure the web must hold some ideas but everyone on here seems fairly au fait with all that
CELEBRATIONS - tonight I eat my first HUGE courgette - yippee
think I left everything else too late but this year was definitely one of preparation and experimentation
oh by the way if you want to ask RSPCA about hedgehogs they close / move soon for the road changes in Sheffield so get in there quickly - you may end up with a new hound or two though!
Life is too short - treasure every moment x
Plant it - grow it - eat it - love it x

Millymollymandy

From what I've read a single hedgehog's territory is very large so it can't be penned into a small space or put in an enclosed garden. It needs to range. You can encourage them to come and visit your garden though if you put out a bit of cat food (definately no milk) of the tinned variety.

Though that might encourage other critters too. :shock:

libran
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

hedgehogs

now heard that there is a woman in Eckington who rescues hedgehogs so I will see what I can find out if I can find her exact address. Think I will need to get one before we get to winter hibernation period as i think that's what happens with them. Will let you all know how I get on.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Libran a very delayed welcome to the site.

So how do you get on?

I resuced a hedgehog once that had got tangled in a cricket net at school. - a fair few year back now. :mrgreen:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

libran
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

hedgehog rescue

sorry for delay in replying, Hedgehog lady not letting anything go this side of winter but can contact her in spring which I will do. Would be nice to get one in my garden and one on the allotment I think but not certain what she would recommend. Allotments are fairly near to where she lives and its not quite like getting a pet. Not certain how far they will roam but will find out more in spring.
At moment I'm laid up with a dodgy knee so not able to do much work in allotment for winter digging. Reading seed catalogues, gardening books and browsing web site.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'DAy Libran,

I picked up a book on allotments while I was in the UK and the author tried the hedghog bit but found it just decamped at the first opportunity!

So there you go!

Nev