Hello! - I've just joined.

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Beth
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hello! - I've just joined.

Hi everyone,

I really like this website - you all seem very friendly - so I thought I'd join in.
I love gardening and want to grow more food. I live in a rented house and the landlords don't want me to dig up their lovely lawn so I'm going to our local allotments on Sunday morning to get me a plot!

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi Beth

Welcome to the site and good luck with getting an allotment. If you don't succeed there are lots of things you can grow in pots. That's what I did when I was renting.

2steps

hello

I have almost all my veg in pots this year and there doing great

2steps

hello

I have almost all my veg in pots this year and there doing great

Beth
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks everyone,

I've just moved into this house last month (before that I had a flat with no outdoor space).

I don't want to wait until next spring to get started but I don't really know what to do.

Does anyone have any tips on what I can sow or plant in pots now?

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Beth!

Nice to see you here! I'll leave it to some of the others to answer your querie, I'm not sure what is good for mid summer over there!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

Radishes for a start, they grow very quickly and do well in pots. Also quick growing leaves for salad such as rocket, and some of the mustard greens which you can probably find in a packet of mixed seed.

Dwarf French beans grow pretty quickly too and I've grown them successfully in pots.

Beth
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Cheers Milly,

I'll get started this weekend!

I've already got some pumpkins started ready for my son's birthday - he'll be two at Hallowe'en.

Millymollymandy

Good luck Beth. You'll probably need a pretty big pot for the pumpkins. I find using those window box type of pots are good for radishes, as they are shallower so you don't waste so much potting compost as in a normal shape pot. And don't forget to water, and check the pots even if it rains as the leaves can shade the soil from getting water - especially the pumpkins (which will need feeding later on when they are forming fruit).

Also (god am I going on?!), I have found that things like radishes can't take so much hot sun if they are in pots compared to planted in the ground, so be careful where you put them.

shiney

Hi Beth,

Just a quick welcome as I am wading through all the missed posts! 8) (I have 2 weeks of catching up to do)
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

couscous
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hi Beth and welcome

I't not too late to start carrots in pots. I use polystyrene boxes I get from the fruit and veg shop. You have to use an 'early' variety though. The cut and come again lettuce will give you a very quick crop as will baby leaf spinach. Parsley does quite well but you have to have quite a tall pot or box as they have very long roots. I have never had any success at all with courgettes in pots until this year. But it is in an enormous pot with some extra runner beans in 50% horse manure!!
Lanie
Live better for less

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep we are all a warm and frinedly bunch here, although it take some of us months to say hello. Sorry and a very,very delayed welcome to the site. :andy:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging