Hello to the group, arcandspark

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
arcandspark
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

My hobby is alternative energy systems. I have done three installations so far. Since its not a business I can relax and focus on doing a good job and finding ways to save wasted energy. Currently I am working of a system to extract all the wasted heat energy from a generator for a family that has been living off the power grid since 1999. I am planning on using a heat Phase change thermal exchanger tank to store the wasted heat energy from the generators hot exhaust gases (approx 800 to 1200 degrees), that's a lot of wasted energy. It will allow me to transfer the stored heat to the water heater tank in the house for hours after the generator has been turned off. I am also building another heat exchanger that will use the wasted heat from the generator engine oil (approx 180 to 200 degrees) to heat hot water for use inside the new home my friend is building. They love being off grid in the woods so much they are now building a 2800 sq ft home. We are designing it to be as energy efficient as possible, using R50 in the roof, R40 n the walls, Geothermal HVAC system that will cut the electrical usage right away by 50% for heating and cooling. Also adding PV solar panels and a wind generator. I love this hobby. arcandspark
Installed off grid alternative power system for my friends 3 brdrm 2 bath mobile home, with 3 5000 BTU window air conditioners. Using dual Trace SW4024 inverters with 4500 amp hour Hawker batteries, system running great since 1999.

arcandspark
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I dont know where the picture of the lady came from but that's not me,(MALE). I cant seem to get the system to accept a 200 pixel picture of one of my energy systems. Oh well thats life. arcandspark
Installed off grid alternative power system for my friends 3 brdrm 2 bath mobile home, with 3 5000 BTU window air conditioners. Using dual Trace SW4024 inverters with 4500 amp hour Hawker batteries, system running great since 1999.

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

That sounds fascinating, Arcandspark. Where are you doing all this? I'd hazard a guess that it's not here in the UK (although there are some off-gridders in the more remote parts).

My only comment about your plans (and I realise I don't know all the details) concerns taking too much heat out of the oil. Does the generator have an oil cooler? If you cool it below its normal operating temperature, you will be changing the oil viscosity that the engine is designed for. The oil will be more difficult to pump around, especially to critical, high pressure bearings, which is particularly important if it is a diesel generator, and it may even make the engine more inefficient. An over cooled engine is inefficient, too.

Having said that, I do agree that it is absurd the amount of energy that the internal combustion engine wastes - a petrol engine is doing very well if it only throws away 70% of the energy put into it.

Geothermal energy would also seem to offer great potential, and I'd love to have a go doing an installation one day.

Have you got a website up with some of your projects on it?

BTW the lady in the picture is Margo Ledbetter, who was a character in a UK TV series in the 70s called The Good Life (here's the lowdown) - it's a sort of theme of the site; she was the least understanding of self-sufficiency. As you send more posts, it will change, until you become Barbara Good, who was the most happy to get her hands muddy. Uploading your own avatar does seem to cause some people problems - I only managed it by uploading it to my website, and then pointing my profile at it. If you want to put picture in your message, see this thread.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

ina

Hi arcandsparc and welcome

You have of course lost me totally with all the technical details - but it's good to know that there is somebody who knows all about it if and when I need some tips on that subject! I'm sure Nev will have to say something about that, too...

And maybe we can inspire you to widen your alternative interests to a bit of veggie culture :wink: ?

Anyway, hope you'll have fun with the site

Ina

cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hi ,

Welcome. This is a great forum for giving and sharing ideas and info.
I am definatley going to get my husband to read your intro. He will understand it...his department!
We are just about to move to France and are going to live off the grid. We've just bought 12X80kw solar panels, were given 4 2'X4' solar water heater panels and have all the necessary batteries and invert as etc to go with it. We've also got a good size generator and a wind turbine.
As I say that is all John's department. Do you have any tips for "living" being off the grid.
We are going to buy a decent car radio/CD player.
Have acquired (from the dump) a twin tub washing machine.
Will be using 12volt lighting.
Log burner, come cooker in the winter. With back boiler.
Solar oven and hay box in the summer. BBQ etc
We think we have covered most things but would appreciate any advice you have gained from experience.
And ofcourse we have "Nora" our Dnepr 11 motorbike and sidecar!!

Jill.. :flower:

Blacksmith
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi ! Takes me back to my boiler hose days ! The annual inspection of the 'connie bends !
Feed water for the boilers were passed through pipes and u bends, over which the exhaust gasses flowed, raising the temperature of the water before it reached the drums.
Dave
Practical and Ornamental Ironwork.
http://dg.engineering.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Blacksmith wrote:Takes me back to my boiler hose days
Is that as in industrial steam plant? I'm wondering what the context is (unless you are really quite old!? Did you watch Fred Dibnah's final outing?). Or am I on the wrong lines here?

I would contend that another way of extracting heat energy from the exhaust - at least of an I.C.E. engine - is with a turbocharger. It seems logical to me that the exhaust gases of a turbocharged car must be cooler than a normally aspirated car, and so the overal efficiency of combustion is improved.

Of course, most cars use up that efficiency in performance, rather than in economy.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Blacksmith
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Yep, an Industrial boiler-HOUSE.
Worked on coal fired and oil fired boilers.
Great fan of the late Mr Dibnah, missed some of his final series, but will get the DVD. Never had the oppertunity to meet him, but spoke on the phone. A great charecter. Sady missed.
Dave
Practical and Ornamental Ironwork.
http://dg.engineering.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

couscous
Tom Good
Tom Good

I was a great fan of Fred too. Now there was a man who enjoyed his life and work - it's the 'secret of life' I think. Work hard - but enjoy every minute.

Don't know what the rest of your conversation is about but it sounds interesting. If it can be achieved with an empty washing-up liquid bottle and a length of sticky-back plastic I'd be more than interested. Am so fed up with astronomical electricity bills.
Lanie
Live better for less

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello arcandspark and a very delayed welcome to the site.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

gunners71uk

baked beans are my alternative energy turbo charged wheelbarrow