Helloo from Alloa

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
danchamp
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Helloo from Alloa

Hi, I'm Dan, from the banks of of the River Forth in Alloa (where that's not where I sprang from, I just live there, I'm actually a Sassenach, but that's another story). Very glad to have been directed here by someone who visited our website.

We've got about an acre here and grow loads of fruit and veg, keep hens for eggs (and soon meat) and pigs for meat. Our 3 cats, 2 dogs and a horse also keep us busy.

We're not aiming for total self-sufficiency (where would I get my dates and chocolate from?) but believe that a move towards sustainability is everyone's responsibility.

Have had a quick browse and seen some posts from folk in the kingdom of Fife - it's a small world. :wink:

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Welcome, Dan - glad to see more folk from Scotland. (It's sometimes frustrating reading about all those southerners and what they can grow that we could never even dream of!).

Just had a look at your website; very enjoyable. You were right, the weather in May was miserable. We keep weather data on a daily basis and can prove it! As far as I remember without getting the books out, the soil temperature was 2 degree less than the usual average for May, and the rain was 40% more. No growing weather.

Oh, a tip for the lawnmowing which doesn't seem to be your favourite job: I hate it, too. I "employ" two goats to do it for me :wink: . Leaves me with a bit of a fencing job... And unfortunately they are very good at pruning, not always in the right places.

Hope you'll enjoy this forum as much as I do, and looking forward to the many useful hints you are bound to be able to give us!

Ina

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Dan,

nice to meet you! if you have an acre you're a lucky man! I have about 500m2 and would like lots more!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello there Danchamp,

Have actual seen your site breifly before looks good mate.

Alloa always reminds me of the first time I ever won some money, I put 50p on it on those football cards :lol:

I think you have come to the right place if you are only looking to be self sufficient 'ish'.

Welcome mate.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hello Dan,
Very pleased to see that you are spitting distance from me. I stay right under the Wallace Monument. I am keen vegetable gardener, used to keep pigs in another life. You lucky person, your set-up looks great.
Pam

Hello

Hi Dan

Welcome, I am 20mns over the Forth bridge in Cardenden and am also a sassenach! Transplanted here when I was 11 and taken root. :shock:

hay331
Tom Good
Tom Good

whoops, did it again

Forgot to login again :oops:
regards
hay331

danchamp
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for the welcome folks, I'm getting a warm fuzzy feeling being here already. 8)
ina wrote:Oh, a tip for the lawnmowing which doesn't seem to be your favourite job: I hate it, too. I "employ" two goats to do it for me :wink: . Leaves me with a bit of a fencing job... And unfortunately they are very good at pruning, not always in the right places.
This year we've let our neighbour's sheep and lambs graze our field, and they've done a great job (on the beech hedge too...)

Nev, you're welcome to come over and take a bit on, but we'll need to setup an exchange - I've always fancied Oz... 8)

Andy, nice to know someone wins money on Alloa Athletic!

greenbean & hay331, if I'm ever stuck for something and the shops are shut I know where to come now. :wink:

ina

danchamp wrote: This year we've let our neighbour's sheep and lambs graze our field, and they've done a great job (on the beech hedge too...)
Dan, I've got a beech hedge alongside the garden, too. It almost looks like topiary...

The inside was done by the goats. As they can only get so high, I put an old desk against the hedge and moved it along a bit every day, so they could reach the higher regions. The very top was then done by myself with the big nippers. The outside gets pruned by sheep (lower part), and the occasional cow (middle part). The top bulges out somewhat... :mrgreen:

Authentic country art, that's what I call it!

Anyway, no birds nesting in the hedge this year, which might be a good job, as the cat is pretty keen on small poultry in her diet. :cat:

Ina

ina wrote:Dan, I've got a beech hedge alongside the garden, too. It almost looks like topiary...
LOL, that's just what ours is like. A long row of standard beeches!
ina wrote:Anyway, no birds nesting in the hedge this year, which might be a good job, as the cat is pretty keen on small poultry in her diet. :cat:
Ditto, although Cas prefers bunnies, and isn't shy about bringing them in if it's raining. More than once I've been woken by the thumping under the bed of the back legs of his latest victim in its death-throes.

A bit freaky the first time but you get used to it. :bunny:

danchamp
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Doh! That was me. :roll: Not used to trusting moderators allowing guest posts!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the offer Dan, who knows one day I might take you up on it! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ina

Dan, your cat sounds even more enterprising than mine! Mine's brought in all sorts of livestock (and dead stock...), I've had blackbirds in the bedroom and rabbits running round the kitchen, but she's never actually killed anything under my bed. Thank goodness. She did once (in her younger days) go for a swim in the lagoon, where silage effluent etc is collected, and then came in at 5 in the morning and expected a welcome in bed, wet as she was. That was one time I kicked her out. Pronto. Took about a week to get rid of the smell. And this morning she let off a massive :fart: , right into my face, also in bed... (I'd just got into it after a nightshift!)

But that's given me an excuse to use this emoticon. :lol:

Ina

couscous
Tom Good
Tom Good

I used to think my cats were bringing me 'offerings' as a gesture of their appreciation for my love and protection - but no. I now know that it's only because they feel safer eating closer to home. I just wish that they wouldn't 'play' with their dinner!!!
One of my cat's is seeing off all the local squirrels - which is pretty agile on his part as he's a BIG cat.
Didn't someone once say:- If cat's could use a tin-opener, they'd rule the world??
Lanie
Live better for less

ina

Better not tell them that nowadays you don't need a tin-opener any more... I bet they'd learn how to pull that ring, if anybody'd be brave enough to show them!

But it's nice of them that they keep us around as "tin-openers", makes us feel wanted and appreciated. :wink:

Ina