Hello from the other side

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Hello from the other side

Hi
My name is Syd.(short for Sydney) an I am not your usual member. I work for the NSW Government in Invasive Species, primarily weeds - I have been doing this for nearly 40 years across most of Australia. Many of the species discussed on this (and other forums) are actually weeds in Australia (please, don't take me to task on this - I have heard every argument many times before). However, while not heading towards self sufficiency, I do have a strong belief that most "weeds" are simply a perception rather than fact and love learning about other uses for these species. My reason for joining this forum is to add to my knowledge and perhaps impart a little also.

Bio - I was born and bred in Mirboo North in the Strezelecki Ranges in Southern Victoria (not far from Noojee) a little over 60 years ago - this is the only place in the world blessed by all gods. Happily married for 36 years, 3 kids, 3 grandiesI have degrees on Horticulture and Land Management and many year experience in sustainable land management. I live in Wagga Wagga NSW and have a "small" property at Collingullie just to the west; the property is 900 acres and we run around 200 Shorthorn and Angus cattle - it is small for the Riverina. We try to keep this enterprise as sustainable as possible and to aid this we allow some "weeds" on the place to provide balance for soil and animal.

Thanks and look forward to more discussion.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Hello from the other side

Hi Syd and welcome to Ish. :wave:

That's a very exciting sounding job. I'm particularly interested in the uses of weeds too especially as I'm very good at growing them! As you say, your weeds will be our feature plants. I'd be interested to learn about them.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

bonniethomas06

Wow, just a little patch then! Sounds amazing. Nice to meet you - please impart lots of weed related knowledge this way :-)
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

ina

Hiya Syd, and welcome! Almost thought you were a ghost posting from "the other side"... :pale:

Yeah, a lot of our weeds (or rather, invasive species) were imported as decorative plants... Lots of rhodie-bashing going on here - rhododendrons just love Scotland!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Weedo

Hi Ina

When I say "other side" I mean that I am (perhaps) approaching the whole sustainability / self sufficiency thing from the direction of a person charged with regulating some of what other member want to do as well as being a commercial farmer.
I see a lot of scope in mixing modern science with traditional practices to achieve balances and this includes species mixes rather than monocultures - much better for the soils, much better for the animals and reduces risks due to seasons etc.

I love the Rhododendrum genus overall and once had a large number in my garden (in another time and place) but they are also becoming invasive in parts of Southern Australia as well.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Weedo

Hi

I think I should put our 900 acres into scale - this size property in our location generally will provide enough income to be cost neutral (or perhaps a little profit) unless we increase production intensity. Increasing intensity means buying more water for irrigation (yes, we do actually have to buy water) and being able to commit more time. Our average annual rainfall here is around 22 inches, mainly in winter (Bobby at Noojee will get nearly 3 times that) so a rough comparison would be that 1 "British" acre would roughly equal 5 "Collingullie" acres. Example of scale in relation to surrounding farms; I generally sow around 200 acres of cereal crop annually - my neighbour (a mid sized farmer) usually sows around 4,000 acres.

I will try to post some pics later on
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Have you had a look at Geoff Lawton's stuff on water use? Not suitable for monoculture but maybe in other areas.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina

Weedo wrote: I see a lot of scope in mixing modern science with traditional practices to achieve balances and this includes species mixes rather than monocultures - much better for the soils, much better for the animals and reduces risks due to seasons etc.
So do I - still a scientist at heart!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)