Hello from Northampton!

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
dougal
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 52.2372
longitude: 0.8960

Hello from Northampton!

Hi everyone :icon_smile:

I found this forum yesterday while Googling for places to buy white vinegar from as Summer Naturals is closed down until 2nd September :( and I've been reading threads since then! Goldmine of information, and interesting too.

A bit about me: I've just graduated from uni in Swansea as a motorcycle engineer, and moved to Northampton a couple of weeks ago, although I'm from Somerset originally. I'm starting a new job as a graduate engineer on Monday, so it's a shame I didn't find this site when I had more time to browse! For the last year or so I've worked from home doing audio to text transcription. I live with my OH (also an engineer) and two dogs.

I guess I'm a bit ish already (although definitely not as much as most of you, don't think OH would agree with using a composting toilet :lol: ). I try not to buy new things unless it's absolutely necessary (although I daresay I'd have bought more stuff if I hadn't been a skint student for four years!), recycle/Freecycle what I don't need or use, and the dogs are fed a raw meaty bone diet. In Swansea this meant locally raised, small scale production food from the local abattoir, and I'd just about managed getting all food for us from the market or abattoir too, and only doing supermarket trips for toiletries and things. I'm still getting the hang of where things are here, so I've slipped a bit and have done a few trips to the supermarket :wink:

Hoping to do something involving veg and herb growing next year now we've got a garden slightly larger than a handkerchief, although as the landlord wouldn't appreciate us digging up his shrubs or lawn for a veg patch, I might be limited to some kind of raised bed affair I can remove afterwards on the gravel area at the side of the house. No firm plans yet, so I'll be reading all the threads here with interest :icon_smile:

Now I'm not racing to meet assignment deadlines or cramming before final exams, I've also taken up knitting again. I've got about 15 squares towards a patchwork blanket, only 106 more to go!

I'm going to drag OH and his daughter out with me blackberry picking too, with the aim of making wine. My mum's made a few gallons over the years, although always of the 'better towards the bottom of the bottle' variety, so I'll be looking for tips on that, too! (I might trade her the loan of her equipment for a few bottles, actually... hmm).

And... that's me. :wave:

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Northampton!

Welcome to the forum. I think being an engineer lends itself to ish living, my oh is an engineer and a restorer of classic bikes, mostly British iron but he does some jap stuff as well, he is always mending, making and building, he says its all the same to him, as he says I just apply an engineering solution, wish I was that handy, good luck with what you are doing

dougal
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 52.2372
longitude: 0.8960

Thanks Digger. You're probably right, I hadn't thought about it like that before - but it's true that when something breaks, we don't go, 'Where can we buy a new one?' It's 'How can we fix/make a new one with what we've got?'

Your OH's job sounds good, we're both into our bikes too. (I think mine's almost old enough to qualify as a classic :lol: )

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hello and welcome.
I hope you can produce some lovely veg in your future raised beds. And don't forget your can forage for a lot more than blackberries next year too. You'll find plenty of info on here about all types of drinks and preserves you can produce with what you find...