Howzit from South Africa

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Luc
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: -33.959502
longitude: 25.615673

Howzit from South Africa

Howzit everyone

I live in Port Elizabeth, a coastal city on the South-Eastern tip of South Africa. Over the past few years I have become increasingly eager to become more self-sufficient and live in an environmentally friendly manner. I live in a small urban property in the center of town, however I do have a small garden. I grow as much of my own vegetables and herbs as I can, recycle and reuse as much as possible and I have recently started trying my hand at making herbal remedies. I also try to bake bread as much as I can and I'm looking into curing meats and making cheese within the next few months. I would also like to start brewing my own beer soon. I would love to have a few chickens, but I don't think I have enough space and I'm not sure about the laws in South Africa regarding rearing chickens in an urban environment. I should find that out though!

Anyways enough babble about myself. I hope to find loads of useful information here and perhaps give some advice where I can. :wave:

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Howzit from South Africa

Hello, welcome to the forum

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

hello and welcome. It would be worth finding out about chickens. I lived in a normal urban street and had chickens, they are charming and don't need a huge garden, our's was quite small and we grew lots of veg. As long as you protect your veg (we fenced off the main veg area and put plastic net around the base of beans and such that we grew with flowers) they are nice to have roaming the garden. We had three and plenty of eggs for us and occasionally the neighbours to keep them sweet! :icon_smile:

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi there and welcome :wave:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Luc
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: -33.959502
longitude: 25.615673

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Thanks for the advise Tosca. Might be asking you a few more questions about chickens in the future if you don't mind.