Hey folks!

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
EcoSam
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hey folks!

Hello! My name is Sam and I stumbled across these forums while looking for a pea pod wine recipe (although I'd previously heard of Andy and Dave) and thought I'd join up.

I live in South Wales on an 18 acre smallholding - that was acquired by my parents last September - while I finish my MSc. We've never owned much land before so needless to say it's been a bit daunting to go to this from the typical back garden! This year we've made a number of raised beds, planted some trees and put up a polytunnel and, now that we're settled and acquainted with the land, we're starting to plan our second year's activities - 6-7 acres of trees for firewood etc, another polytunnel, chickens/ducks, grains and more diverse and extensive planting of food crops. Hopefully some bees too. I'm trying to introduce Permacultural thinking into the way we do things as well.

I've started to bake my own bread, we make own booze (beer kits, wines, hopefully cider and mead in the future) and we've always made most of our food from scratch so I can cook a little as well. Once I finish my MSc I'll hopefully be able to develop some sort of income from the land and or/set up my own business so that I don't have to get a proper job (which sounds like hell to me); I live frugally and have no desire for the latest gadgets and gizmos so my intention is to work to live rather than the opposite! I think skill diversity is important in order to live self sufficientishly so I'll continue learning new things and trying my hand at various things.

Anyway, nice to meet you all!

Sam

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Hey folks!

Welcome to Ish Sam!
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi there and welcome :wave:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi and welcome
That sounds like a wonderful set up. Good luck in finding an income source, much better than being stuck in an office all day.

Zoe

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Sam and welcome.

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Welcome to ISH :flower:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

EcoSam
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Cheers MW!