Hi from '1940s' Cornwall

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Hi from '1940s' Cornwall

Lilyfae wrote:Wow! Welcome, I love your writing concept (especially as a history teacher)

Marguerite patten did a series of books that were cribbed from original publications- I got it from the imperial war museum & I use bits out of it when we do WWII.
It's called the Wartime Kitchen & well worth a read!

Good luck, hope you find what you need here
I have those books they are well used for sure!! :icon_smile:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

MeganW
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

In one of them there is a recipe for wartime 'Lobscouse' that is made from cheese and tomatoes stirred into in a little milk and melted butter. But I thought that Lobscouse was something completely different to this? Doesn't it traditionally include meat and vegetables? Anyone have any ideas?

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

Proper Lobscouse:

Lobscouse casserole
Ingredients
2-3 tbsp olive oil

1.2kg/2½lb stewing beef, chopped

2 marrow bones (ask your butcher for these)

1 onion, peeled, chopped

3 potatoes, peeled, chopped

1 swede, peeled, chopped

2 leeks, trimmed, chopped

2 carrots, peeled, sliced

2 bay leaves

salt and freshly ground black pepper

1.5 litres/2½ pints beef stock

crusty bread, to serve (optional)

Preparation method
1.Preheat oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.

2.Heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the beef pieces and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until browned all over.

3.Add the marrow bones to the pan and continue to cook for a further 2-3 minutes.

4.Remove the beef and marrow bones from the pan and set aside on a warm plate.

5.Add the chopped onions to the casserole the beef was cooked in. Fry in the pan juices for 1-2 minutes, or until softened.

6.Stir in the potatoes and swede and continue to cook for a further 2-3 minutes.

7.Add the chopped leeks, carrots and bay leaves and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Continue to cook for a further 1-2 minutes, or until just softened.

8.Return the beef and marrow bones to the casserole, then pour over enough beef stock to just cover the casserole contents.

9.Cover the casserole with a lid, then transfer to the oven and cook for 2½-3 hours, or until the beef is tender.

10.To serve, spoon some of the lobscouse casserole into the centre of four to six serving plates and serve with crusty bread, if desired.

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

I remember being told that when my father came home from the war - he'd been with the Royal Air Force in South Africa - he ate the houselhold's cheese and butter rations for the week in two sandwiches. He used to send food back from South Africa to my mother, kippers in one parcel, which had to be thrown away by the time they arrived in Gloucester.

MeganW

Blimey, kippers in a parcel must have stank! The cheese ration is very small - I can understand someone eating it all in one go. To be honest, I'm surprised it managed to go as far as two sandwiches!
The 'real' Lobscouse recipe is absolutely nothing like the wartime version - it must be another case of deceptive naming. Mock goose, for instance, has nothing at all to do with a goose.

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Have you tried the mock duck out of that book? Is bloomin lovely. I make it very regularly now :sunny:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi and welcome!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

chilitony
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Having a keen interest in the 40's, being in the re-enactment world. I have recently been given a 40's gardening book.
"Odhams - How To Grow and Produce Your Own Food".
so if you have any specific questions i will look it up for you. :salute:
captus nidore culinae (caught by the odor of the kitchen)

MeganW

Thanks very much chilitony - I'll probably be in touch with questions at some point!

Indy, I haven't tried the mock duck yet but have just made an apple charlotte using a wartime recipe and it's delicious (if I do say so myself)!