Hello from Australia! :)

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello from Australia! :)

Hello! My name is, surprisingly, Elizabeth, and I live in the suburbs of Australia. I am a 23 year old model and nutrition student. Studying nutrition has made me even more headstrong about the quality of my foods. I was before, but now that I actually DO know what's in food, my horrifications have made me even healthier.

I bought the book from this site a month or so ago and in some frantic cleaning phase managed to push it under the bed and forget about it until two nights ago, when I was cleaning again and rediscovered it. The same day my fiancee and I had an argument about how to build a chicken pen! He's a farm boy and has been all his life and wanted to make a metal one, but we don't have a decent welder at home. I've welded a duck pen before, but that was back up on his parent's farm as a gift for Mother (I call her Mother too, you can't NOT with her!). But lo and behold, I found step by step instructions for a cheap wooden one!!

Today my housemate and I are going to a regarbage place that sells old thrown out things people don't want anymore. They have a large collection of wood and I have a couple different types of saws. I'm sure you see where this is going. I am excited to be building my chook pen this afternoon and picking up my two pre-paid Australorps tomorrow morning. They're only 3 months old, so who knows when they'll lay, but I am excited.

For the most part, compared to most of my friends, I am a fairly self-sufficient person. Growing up in the city all my life (I'm from Mexico originally) I found it a challenge to adjust to the suburbs (SUVs and soccer games *sigh*) but have taken firm hold of my newfound backyard (never had one before!) and my ability to make something out of nothing and create a home. My fiancee, who is a welder by trade (and we don't have a decent welder at home, wtf??) is quite proud of my ability to build and design new items for the house. It wasn't out of necessesity, we surely make enough.. but it was about pride, hard work, custom pieces of furniture and strength, none of which you can get from store-bought packaged furniture.

OH dear this is turning into an awesomely long intro, but I guess the short version is HI and I hope I have enough information to help others here and I hope to learn a lot from the community as well!! I am looking forward to reading all the things I can do from home to improve my quality of life and the life of the world around me.

Thank you for allowing me on these boards, I promise I will be good. :)

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Hello from Australia! :)

welcome :flower:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks!!

Oooh not to randomly update my own post but the flooring guy is here (we had a flood and I don't own) and he said I could use his saws for my project!!! :D His is MASSIVE. Should make quick work of the chook pen! WOOHO.

Milims

Hi there and welcome! :wave:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Hi, welcome to Ish and good luck with the flooring man's massive......I'll get my coat :lol: :wave:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey Liz!

Welcome to the site!

You may also be interested in Aussies Living Simply!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I live simply but I'll check it out!! :)

Yes! That's exactly how I got the carpenter to let me use his saw. "My.. what a big tool you have there. It's so large and shiny. Can you show me how to use it and can I use it tonight?"

Millymollymandy

Is it done then? :iconbiggrin: Hi and welcome Elizabeth and it's great to hear from people finding out about this site from the book on the other side of the world! :cheers:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

hello :wave:
:flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

AGH! I read the angle wrong. It said 'measure a 30 degree angle and cut'... so I set the mitre saw to 30... and I put them together and.. GOT A HEXAGON. O_O I spent twenty minutes trying to figure out what I did wrong... wrong angle. The mitre saw only goes to 55 though, not 60... well, it HAS the number 60 but the saw won't click over.

I have to wait until the morning to ask the carpenter how to knock it that last 5 degrees I need.

Thank GOODNESS I cut too little instead of too much, eh?

Also, couldn't find plywood at the recycle reuse shop so I am using corrogated iron as the sides and sourcing a piece of plywood for the floor and nesting boxes from the local hardware store.

I have managed to make this ENTIRE PEN for... wait for it... $37 AUD. Like... 20 pounds? 'cause the iron is free from my fiancee's workshop (scraps from trucks he builds) and all the wood was recycled and even the hooks, string, and HINGES (fifty cents each baby.. or .28 pounds) was recycled.

I am muy proud of myself today.

Sorry for boasting but it's been a long day and this is my first huge proect since I took woodshop in highschool. Like riding a bike though!!!!

spitfire
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 38.579065
longitude: -121.491014

hello from california :sunny: and welcome :wave:
WHEN MY IRISH EYES ARE SMILING I'M USUALLY UP TO SOMETHING!!!
NEVER REGRET THAT WHICH ONCE MADE YOU SMILE.

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

My goodness do you REALLY clean your house every month or so, cos in our house we would not have found the " BIBLE" hang on, looking in the dairy, yep as I thought, 7.30am till 7.45am, July 10th 2010, anyway Welcome and well done with chicken shed,
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

spider8

Hello Liz and good luck with the chicken house, good for you for having a go.
Please post a pic when it's done :wave: .
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

oldfella wrote:My goodness do you REALLY clean your house every month or so, cos in our house we would not have found the " BIBLE" hang on, looking in the dairy, yep as I thought, 7.30am till 7.45am, July 10th 2010, anyway Welcome and well done with chicken shed,
LOL! 15 minutes of cleaning once a year, eh? Awesome! :)

I'll post photos of the chook pen when it's done!

Until then, here's a photo of me with the handyman's massive tool - that my fiancee is jealous of for some reason. I just don't understand. Why would he be upset I was playing with a man's tools that were bigger than his?

And yes, that's my motorbike and helmet, too. I'd just gotten back from a ride!
Attachments
DSC04417.JPG
DSC04417.JPG (56.26 KiB) Viewed 3962 times

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Welcome to ISH :flower:

Methinks you'll fit in 'round here really well! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!