Hens are where it's at!

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Harriet
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hens are where it's at!

Hi, my name is Harriet. I've become a chicken 'nut' since acquiring 4 hens a month or so ago. They are without doubt the best therapy money can buy - my ailing & elderly mother finds them extremely entertaining and far more efficacious than anti-depressants! I have also become somewhat obsessive about composting and I guess the next step will be to use the compost to grow some veg.
:cheers:

FluffyMuppet
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: hens

Hubby and I are hoping to get our garden to the point where we can keep a couple of hens in 2005. Did you give yours names?

I read in one book that a chicken can produce a hundredweight of poo in a year, mostly while they are asleep! I don't know what that looks like, but it sounds like a lot. Very good for veggies when it's been composted :lol:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Harriet thanks for posting:andy:

There is a power station in corby near where I grew up that runs off chicken and pig poo, so they are very useful animals to keep more so than just for eggs. And yes fluffy muppet the poo is very good in soil as a fertiliser too.

I used to work in a mental health ward, so the statment about anti depressents I found quite truthful. We used to get some of the patients gardening and for some it was the thing that got them happy enough to leave.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging