chickens and foxes

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
JoseyJo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

chickens and foxes

I went out this morning to find that a fox had got both of our chickens :( One gone and the other dead.
We've had hens for 4 years and no problems until now, it got in by smashing a Perspex window which I think did have small hole in it so was obviously a weak spot. I feel bad for the chickens as I thought the run was secure so we didn't tend to close the pop hole.
We were wondering how long a fox is likely to come back looking for more. We were thinking of waiting a few months before getting more in the hope that it will have given up by then, or is that unlikely? We'll also make sure the Perspex windows are reinforced with mesh and do a general reinforcement of the run before we get any more. But how long to leave it?

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: chickens and foxes

Make it secure, then get more whenever you're ready. - and shut the pophole at night!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Once foxes know where to go,they'll come back.I would not consider obtaining any new chickens unless you're 100% confident the foxes cannot penetrate the new house/run.

JoseyJo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ok thanks, we'll reinforce the run and also close the pop hole at night once we get some more. We're going to wait a couple of months until after our holiday anyway. I know when/if we do get more I'll worry about them :? I must admit after having no trouble for 4 years I was lulled into thinking the foxes round here find enough in the fields and don't risk coming up to the houses as much as urban foxes might.

bonniethomas06

That sounds unlucky JoseyJo, I have never heard of a fox smashing Perspex! It's happened to me before, it's a horrible feeling. The fox probably will come back, but then you don't know how long it was sniffing around before it got lucky with the Perspex - I would reinforce the run until it is a mini Alcatraz, and start again. Good luck!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

doofaloofa

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LARGE-FOLDING-FO ... 1c416a576b

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/61-INCH-X-LARGE- ... 460968db21

just lost 5/7 goslings over the last few weeks

All poultry now on lock down, and I having to spend several days and several hundred €'s fencing in the field to allow the birds to graze and free range (not so 'free' though)

I'll shoot the fecker if i get the chance
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Gert
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 51.126621
longitude: -1.933950

We had one winter where the poor sod chewed his way through heavy duty plastic to get at the hens. I actually did feel sorry for him as he must have been pretty desperate.

For the UK folk it was that evil winter we had a few years back and it didn't get above -5 for a couple of months. ( I know this is a spring day in some parts of the world, but for us Brits that was a nasty one)