Steam cleaning redmite

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
tim_n
Tom Good
Tom Good

Steam cleaning redmite

I have a shed I'm repurposing into a chicken coop - there's various sources talking about redmite and how you need to dust and it can (the mites) get into crannies in the woodwork.

If I do get an infestation, can I use a steamer to kill them? (the mites, not the birds)
Tim_n
http://www.waark.com - allotment and green living blog

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: Steam cleaning redmite

Hi
I've tried that but it wasn't very effective. They get into the little cracks in the wood, well away from the steam. I had better results with diatomaceous earth. Friends of mine get a treatment from the vet which you drop onto the necks of the chickens and they say it's effective. But my local vet isn't up on chickens which is why I use the earth.

Zoe

hedgewizard

Re: Steam cleaning redmite

Diatomaceous earth is too messy imho, and the stuff for the chickens neck's is expensive and fairly nasty stuff with a 7 day period where you can't eat the eggs. Much simpler to get hold of a detergent called Poultry Shield and clean the house out with it when you see the little buggers. incidentally, learn how to spot them as they're commonly missed and can make your birds really unhappy.
http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk - polytunnel offers, reviews, and more self-sufficiency information than you can shake a chicken at