Home made Wormer?

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Home made Wormer?

Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone has any recipes for worming chooks, geese, cats and dogs?
I found a recipe online yrs ago for homemade flea treatment for the furries and it works a treat and costs hardly anything. Even if we had the money I wouldn't use anything else now as it is so effective.
Everybody could do with being wormed at the minute and I was just wondering if any recipes exist for this. Thanks. Xxx

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Home made Wormer?

I don't know about homemade remedies but diatomaceous earth works well.

But I'd be grateful for your flea remedy - I hate having to use Frontline but it seems to be the only thing that works really well and we've currently got 5 cats!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote:I don't know about homemade remedies but diatomaceous earth works well.
Be VERY careful with this!
1. check it is food grade
2. read up about safe application
3. Dont EVER consume dry - inhaling the particulates will cut your lungs avioli to shreds.

wont kill you (unless inhaled often) but definitely not good to get in you lungs
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

JulieSherris
A selfsufficientish Regular

For Diatom, I use www.diatomx.co.uk.
I got a huge bucket full last year & even with all my lot, I've only used less than half - this is used for worming the birds/dogs/cat/sheep, dusting the houses for mites, dusting the chooks themselves, sprinkled around to get rid of ants/earwigs/woodlice....

On the Diatom website, it gives you all the ins & outs of what it is, how to use it, and so on....

Anyway, if you want to try a home-made wormer, for the chooks you can try finely chopped garlic & apple cider vinegar in their water, although if you suspect gapeworm, that won't be tough enough for the job :?
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Ellendra

Fresh tobacco leaves work as a wormer. For a cow, 2 leaves once a month as a preventative. Scale it down for smaller animals. To get rid of an acute infestation, give that same dose every 3 days until it clears up.

Chaldeonmenthe
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I would also really like that flea recipe, Mrs H, if you are willing to share.
I also use chopped garlic and apple cider vinegar in the chooks water, and it seems to be a great preventative.

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ellendra wrote:Fresh tobacco leaves work as a wormer. For a cow, 2 leaves once a month as a preventative. Scale it down for smaller animals. To get rid of an acute infestation, give that same dose every 3 days until it clears up.
Would that be ok for ponies? oh and where can I buy fresh tobacco? thanks
:hugish:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

Oilystairs
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Home made Wormer/Tick treatment?

Hi Everyone, this exchange interested me so i searched for a homemade tick and flea treatment and found this link. I just received some Rose Geranium and Peppermint essential oils from an online retailer in the UK and we will give it a go this summer. If it works it will cost almost nothing compared to Frontline and Scalibor

http://www.allpestco.com/2009/11/homema ... repellent/

Best of luck