Would a heat mat be good for hatching poultry eggs?

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Abba
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Would a heat mat be good for hatching poultry eggs?

Hi,
I would like to know which would be most successful at hatching poultry eggs a heat mat or a heated propergator?
I would like to know how it would possible to poultry eggs on or near a heat mat?
I can't afford an incubator.
How can I use it and is there any way I can controll the temperature?
I would like to hatch quail and duck eggs.
Would a heated plant propergator work?
Thank you.
Abbanoub

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Would a heat mat be good for hatching poultry eggs?

Not sure about heat mats as to my mind the heat source will be in a fixed point where the egg touches to mat.. where as a hen or incubator heat the whole egg?

minesamojito
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I think you can pick up cheap propagators on ebay, or use their design to make your own
i think as mick says the fixed poin of heat wouldn't be great as you'd get a hot side in contact with the mat and a cold side
cheers
marcus
My outdoor cooking and eating blog
http://countrywoodsmoke.wordpress.com

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

it's not just the heat it's also the humidity - and especially so for duck eggs. Personally I'd beg, steal or borrow an incubator. They don't need to be expensive.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

JulieSherris

Yep, it's the all round heat that an egg needs, as well as a regulated humidity.
I have a couple of incubators - my smallest will definitely do for hen eggs and guinea fowl eggs - but turkey or duck eggs? Forget it!
The eggs will develop, but then the humidity isn't stable enough for hatching & so the bird starts to come out of the egg, get dry, get stuck & die.

A heat meat or propagator just won't cut it - you NEED a proper incubator - even if it's just a loan..... have you tried asking your local freecycle?
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink: