chickens and duck babys

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
giz
Tom Good
Tom Good

chickens and duck babys

OK so iv seen it, with hens, who have hatched some ducks.
on Weds last week, i got 9 ex batts, and 2 3day old ducks... can i put the babys in with one of the hens? or should i just keep em apart, i have the ducks in a big indoor cage atm.
it was just a thought..im sure they have to of hatched em?
im not going to Just do it,, just wanted to know if you think its Better for them??
iv raised loads of duck babys, always just on their own, but wonderd if its better for daisy n duke or not?

red
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: chickens and duck babys

keep them separate.

wouldn't consider if unless any of the hens were broody.. and 3 days old is probably too late
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

giz
Tom Good
Tom Good

yeah i thought as much...
Just thought id check it out.. ta

little blue duck
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

if I've read your post right...
the ducklings are 3 days old? They should be under a heat lamp, especially at night. (in the wild, theyd be under mum)

the ex-batteries, if they're brown? are Warrens (ISA brown) hybrids - they very rarely go broody, so would never look after the ducklings. they are more likely to peck them, everything will be new to them if they were caged and so likely to get pecked.

good luck with your new arrivals, and just ask if you're unsure of anything. Ducklings particularly take abit of getting used to, they're much harder work than full grown hens (and a darn sight messier!)

giz
Tom Good
Tom Good

lOL.. you know.. i find ducks easier.. iv never had a heat lamp, i have the ducks living indoors, with the beanbags you microwave.. iv only just had the 1, or 2... saves em being in someones pie... These two i have just moved outside, Still in their cage, with theire'mom' and what not. they in the shed, its dry n warm and ill be checking on them all night.. cos im too soft.. lol..
the girls are a bit mean, chased one of the dogs. LOL.. so there is my answer..
yes they are warrens.. such beautiful funny, yet very bald girls.. lol..