Chicks and holidays

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
kevino
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Chicks and holidays

Would really love to keep chickens but OH insists it no viable for us as we are away a lot at weekends and for hols etc. How do you cope with holidays?

southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Chicks and holidays

Are you near Helston?

http://www.thechickenhotel.co.uk/

kevino
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

No unfortunately am in North Essex

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have a fantastic neighbour who [with help of grand daughters] will feed them if I am away, and if I am home too they love to visit. Deal is they get any eggs they collect.

If I am just going to be away overnite I just leave extra food out. I am lucky I dont have to shut them in overnite, so this works fine.
Sarah :flower:

kevino
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Unfortunately know the neighbours to say hello when I se them at weekends but leave home at 6am and dont return till 8pm obviously will have to get to know them and introduce the idea of eggs

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi
I have a large shed for my girls so they can stay safely inside if I'm not around to let them out. I have a big feeder (a large food bucket with holes in the side so they can just help themselves). It lasts about 4 days.

I have a large water dispenser. It lasts about a week.

In theory I can leave my girls for three to four days. I don't need to though as loads of neighbours or friends offer to look after them if they can keep the eggs.

Zoe

bonniethomas06

Hi there,

We have left ours for three days at a time in the past. We have automatic light sensitive door openers (the best £100 I ever spent) and large food/water hoppers, enough to last for more than 3 days easily. We also have an electric fence.

As above, I do have neighbours who pop over occasionally to take the eggs and just check everyone is OK, but I would be OK with leaving them now and again, even without this help.

Just keep wearing OH down...they crack eventually. Worked for me anyway, and now he loves them!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com