muscovy

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
daddymatty82
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

muscovy

what do people think of them as im selling 3 of my 4 magpie ducks next week and im thinking of getting a muscovy to keep it company if there is any at market of course if its cheap enough. i always understood they were nasty little bu**ers and very vicious is this true? would they fend off a dog like my chicks do already? just want something more fun in the garden its an idea atm not a garentee so dont think im just going out to get it im just doing research. cheers matty

thesunflowergal
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: muscovy

Hi Matty

Sorry can't help, but which market do you go to? The one at countrywide on the way to Cirencester?

Nikki
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

daddymatty82

yeah go to poultry market once a month to buy or not to buy just to look at the prices. do you go there?

thesunflowergal

I haven't been for a while as last time I went it was too expensive for me. I bought another two hens yesterday, and thats pretty much it for me. As I only have a 6x6ft run.
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

samhall_ogden
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hiya i keep Muscovys and currently have 18 I love them they are so comical they wag their tails and make a giggling sound the girls can fly so need their wings clipping if you have neigbours who don't apprieciated little visits the boys can be aggressive as they get sexually mature I have been attacked by my biggest boy only the once I am afraid that I had to be super tough with him and he got a good boot every time he flew for me but now he's realised I am boss he just hisses at me and occasionaly tries to peck my legs. :icon_smile: Wouldn't get any other duck now. Hope this helps Sam

becky3086
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I have just one muscovy hen and she is my favorite. I have never had her be aggressive but she does like to give me a hard time now and then when I herd the others back into the pen, she is good at getting away.

maisey
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hello Matty,

I keep Muscovies and have 1 drake and 3 hens. I would never be without them as I find that they are the funniest and most gentle birds. I did have one hen that was the devils spawn but in her defence she was rescued and was very insecure. She did improve a little though and I successfully bred from her earlier this year.

The 4 that I have at the moment are very quiet but keep us all entertained (jumping into the sprinkler to drink from it) :iconbiggrin: They will follow me everywhere in the garden hoping that I will give them some juicy worms.

They do rule the cats, but that is only when the cats try to nick their food, but they are not vicious in any way, they just walk towards them in a 'BOG OFF'! sort of way :iconbiggrin:

I do certainly recommend them :iconbiggrin:

Maisey

oldjerry

Hi' I used to keep ducks,100 or so kahki as a laying flock. I've kept other breeds,and I have to say as layers Muscovies are as good as useless.On the plus side they do eat well. They are also the only creatures on earth more ugly than Mrs. OJ's mother.