Too young to process?

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
JulieSherris
A selfsufficientish Regular

Too young to process?

So it was hubby's birthday on Tuesday & he's reached the grand old age of 50 - except he's been in Dublin working all week, so birthday celebrations have been rather thin on the ground - well, at this end anyway!

Although he's back sometime today, we're having a birthday dinner on Sunday & Gail is coming along (with her man :shock: ) and Leah. I said I would cook up a roast chicken dinner & will be sorting out a nice fat mini-chick for the feast..... and Leah pleaded & pleaded to come over to 'help' do the deed.
Now, Gail is rather squeamish about the whole thing & thinks Leah is far too young to be involved in this process. She talked to Leah about it all & said that there will be blood & asked her how she would feel seeing the bird die. Leah has said that she's fine about that - 'that's what chickens are for!' she says.....

So ok, the plan is for Leah to come over & she'll be here to help. Now I haven't any problem with it & I think it's actually good for her - even though she's only 6. Gail's letting her come against her better judgement though.

If I do everything matter of factly, I don't think she'll be scared & I think she'll be quite fascinated with the whole process - but what do you all think? Is 6 too young? Will she have nightmares after?

She told Gail 'it's only one chicken, think how many are in the shop & someone had to do all those!'.... yeah, I bet they didn't do them in the same way though! :mrgreen:
I think it's good for Leah to know where her food comes from, but is the whole killing plucking thing a step too far?
I'd be interested in what you think - but she's still adamant that she wants to be here helping - hubby has said that I'd best not disappoint her... and he's looking forward to having a decent meal after being away all week!

What's the opinions?
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Carltonian Man

Re: Too young to process?

When our kids were about five and six they watched me take the breasts off a couple of wood pigeons. Immediately as I finished the lad asked now you've got their meat off can we watch you let them go. I chased them about the garden pecking them with the dead birds to squeals of their delighted laughter and mischief. No bad dreams or anything.

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Although I hate the act of killing any living thing even bugs etc, I think it is right that children should know and see where their meat comes from, providing the act of killing is carried out with respect, and not as I once saw as part of a game.
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

becks77

Sounds like she already has her thoughts sorted and as you say its important for her to know where food comes from, if necessary you could kill the bird, prior to Leah's arrival and then let her "join in" after the deed is done?
Difficult decision, my girls wouldn't even entertain the idea.
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

red

I saw chickens being killed when i was young, and my son has grown up seeing the realities of life death and nookie on a farm, and no no nightmares.

I think its fine. i think its good.. it completes the circle from chicken to meat.

of course you want to think about hygiene, but thats a different issue.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'd let her help, it never did my mum or grandad any harm. I think it's important for kids to know where their food comes from and she sounds like a clever kid who knows the score already anyway. Like you said, if you do it matter of factly it'll be fine.
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

JulieSherris

OK, I spoke to Gail this morning & although she is still extremely doubtful, she's letting Leah come here to help from start to finish..... then she's heading off for a couple of hours so she doesn't have to witness any of it herself! :lol:

She talked again to Leah last night & admitted that she was trying to put her off, telling her exactly how I do it - Leah wasn't fazed at all & just said 'of course the blood comes out, or the meat wouldn't be white would it?'
Then apparently she called Gail a wimp & in the same way of Big Al's signature, she told her 'if we weren't meant to eat them Mum, why would they be so tasty??'

So - decision firmly made, she will be here from start to finish... but I am NOT letting her actually kill the bird, which she has also said she wants to do! :shock:
She's not right..... :dontknow:

Millymollymandy

I've just killed my first chicken this morning through necessity and we are the biggest wooses (sp?) in the universe. The killing was easy it's the sadness afterwards that is horrible. :( Anyway if the child wants to watch then why not? Just get her to wear protective googles like I did but still managed to get some blood on my jacket and in my hair, well I'm already covered in chicken vomit from yesterday so what's a bit more goo?
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Silver Ether

Wonderful ... just let her know that at anytime she wants to she can walk away from the process. She doesn't have to stay or do ... I never done the job either... helped clean chicken out at a butchers onces while I was waiting to get into work ... the fruit shop next door... :lol:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

theabsinthefairy

I grew up with chickens being despatched ready for dinner on the table a couple of hours later and never suffered from nightmares but everyone / child is different and no one can know better than you and her mum.

I think at 6 she is old enough to be aware of the process, however, I would ensure that wherever you do the deed, she has a clear line of exit, so that she does not have to pass you or the chicken or ask permission to leave. At 6 she will know when something is making her uncomfortable and so can make her own decision to not watch - with you having explained beforehand that she can look away and walk away when she wants.

I know my daughter is OK with the visuals, but does not like the smells, as we do all of our killing outside there is less risk of her delicate nostrils becoming distressed. :wink:
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

Touchwood
Tom Good
Tom Good

My niece was about the same age when she watched her dad despatch and clean a duck. She was more curious than anything, asking questions about the different bits. Certainly no nightmares and she's growing up amazingly well balanced, she respects animals but accepts where meat comes from.

sortanormalish
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 85.0
longitude: 35.0

My children were raised as i was in this matter. I am not an axe murder, of humans anyway. I don't think our youngest could walk when he sat in a seat and watched the fall slaughter for the first time. Every fall we kill goats, pigs, geese, ducks and turkeys for the freezer. There are also wild game cleanings and monthly rabbit slaughters. By necessity, all of our children participate. They kill, clean, and help cook. They all started at around 4 with the actual killing of rabbits.

We usually have an anatomy book handy for the identification of parts. Our oldest scored perfect on his end of course anatomy exams without studying, he gives credit to the pigs.

The kids give everythig a name and that is ok with me, I think animals are treated better that way. The kids are truly sad when an animal is injured or ill, but slaughter is different, they know that is where meat comes from. They also find it very difficult to thin seedlings, they argue that they are just little baby plants.

Sometimes, we have to let a sibling kill a specific animal because of sentimental reasons, but they have never had bad dreams or been unable to eat the food.
The only ill effect I have seen is that they openly ridicule people with weak stomachs.
"You are a strange little mouse."
"Thank you." -Tale of Despereaux

JulieSherris

All done!

She arrived with her handbag & had brought her camera...... :shock:
She popped on her boiler suit & I took her to the bottom garden - the cone was in place & I ran her through how it was all going to happen. I told her that anytime she wanted to walk away, that was fine & we got going.

First of all, when the chook was in position, she decided that it had to have a name & couldn't die without one... so 'Alice' was gently stroked & generally cooed at for a few minutes.
She took pics all the way through & helped to pluck - and she was marvellous!

The amazement at the tiny little heart that she wishes she can keep..... and then we were pulling the egg yolks out & Leah thought that was incredible! She loved doing the gizzard as well & was shocked at the amount of small stones in there too. The only 'eewww' moment was when I finally got the intestines out - she didn't like that bit, but then spent a few minutes playing with them in the sink. :roll:
But she now knows why they have bulging crops at the end of the day & why supermarket chooks are so big compared to our little scrawny thing - she absolutely can't wait for dinner tomorrow!
Mind you, there's going to be 5 of us, so I might have to sneak in an extra chook in the morning, I have a feeling Leah's going to be wanting seconds!! :lol:

Touchwood
Tom Good
Tom Good

So glad it worked out, I've been talking to OH about this and wondered how things went.

I know someone who's living is sheep farming and yet all the lambs go off to slaughter without their children (9 and 12) having any idea where they are going. Then they go to T***o and buy a lamb joint for Sunday dinner and the children have no concept of the connection.

Can't help thinking your way is far better.

Silver Ether

Well done both... :icon_smile:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.