Another 'chickens wont lay' plea

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Another 'chickens wont lay' plea

Had my ex-bats about 2 months now, they are in full feather, been scoffing ex-bat and then some fancy layers high protein pellets, seem very happy, definately established a 'pecking order' and know the routine, even face off with dogs thru the fence,

BUT

from 8 hens, I get 1, very occasionally 2, eggs a day. They are gonna be dog food soon.

Is there anything else I could do, any special stuff I could feed them; they are enjoying pecking thru a load of seeds, and long grass, get crushed baked egg shells, get fed plenty [there is always a little feed left in the tray when they turn in]

Suggestions please :scratch:

Sarah :flower:

crump
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Another 'chickens wont lay' plea

hi,
dont keep em myself but a friend of mine does he was told to feed them wheat. :dontknow: :dontknow:
he's getting plenty of eggs.
best regards,
crump :thumbright: :thumbright:

Gert
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 51.126621
longitude: -1.933950

Hi Sarahkeast

can i ask you a few questions?

are they in a sunny area? what has the weather been like recently ? is there any chance that they are laying but the eggs are being predated by magpies, rats etc?

It does seem very strange that you are getting so few eggs. If you can give us more of a picture maybe we can work it out

Cheers

Gert

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Gert

We are in Lancashire, so not exactly the best weather. Their run is 'sheltered' they dont get a whole lot of direct sunshine, with fence/shed to east, south and north [great wind shelter tho !], but it is nice and light. When the sun gets higher they should get some sunbathing in !

No chance of laying undiscovered as they only came out of run for the first time the other afternoon, the run is very secure [ to keep dogs and chooks separate !]

Sarah

becks77
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi Sarah,
I'm no expert but my chuckies have what sounds like a similar set up to yours and until the sun gets a bit higher and brighter I don't expect much more than the one egg every other day at the mo.
When we had snow and it was really bright we had 2 every day while the snow lasted then alas it tailed off and am now waiting for higher sunshine angles, it shouldn't be too much longer and then there will be so many eggs we wont know what to do with them! :lol:
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Millymollymandy

That's interesting Becks about the snow and the light!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks folks :grouphug:

Going to shut dogs in and let chooks out this afternoon, forecast is for a great day today. :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: Hope to finish marathon veg bed digging session [roll on 'no dig' :cooldude: ] and get the beds built so the girls can help pick over the freshly dug soil.

Just going to be patient I guess

crump
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

what about codliver oil on the food :dontknow: :dontknow: