What treats to feed to chickens

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

What treats to feed to chickens

http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/vie ... eats_Chart

Just found this, I think it looks like a great resource... any other hints would be appreciated. I'd like to make the most of my peelings and other off cuts.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

grubbysoles
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: What treats to feed to chickens

I'm pleased to see they like bananas - I always buy too many and can't always be bothered to bake banana cake with the leftovers. Oooh, and I've just noticed that I have progressed from Margo to Jerry. Aren't I doing well!? :flower:

applegirl
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

My chickens are extremely fond of slugs and snails....

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Mine like tomato which hasn't got a comment on that list. Also when you are gardening any 'bad' grubs from the soil and the smooth green caterpillars that you've picked off your brassicas (not sure whether it is large or small cabbage white caterpillar) can be fed to them. They don't seem interested in the other type which are more hairy.

I'm going to try giving mine some yoghurt as it looks like it'll be fun to (stand back and) watch. :cheers:

Now you are going to have some fun with your first hens! :flower: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote:
Now you are going to have some fun with your first hens! :flower: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I am :flower: :flower: :flower:

Just longing for a waste disposal unit that produces eggs as a by-product.

And...... while we are on the subject of food for hens..... I hadn't realised the price of food...
25Kg of layers pellets for £8.50, and I reckon that will feed them for several months.... We were paying £1.82 for half dozen eggs... it's not going to take long for them to pay for themselves is it?

Now, where can I find cat food as cheap? and she doesn't even lay eggs :lol:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Millymollymandy

From everything I've read, wheat is much better to feed them as treats than corn (or maize depending on which country you are in). Corn is fattening and should be used sparingly and for those who you are fattening up for the pot. It's also used in winter as apparently it helps to warm them.

I've never given it to my hens as they don't like it (the occasional kernel appears in their food or the sacks of wheat and it is never eaten!).
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

i feed mine all sorts of kitchen scraps (dont tell defra) but their all time fav has to be worms that is highly entertaining
try hard mean well and never give up

bonniethomas06

Someone told me they like Marmite on toast and the B vitamins are really good for them.

Thinking about it though, that was on the day I picked them up..which was 1st April! :scratch: Will have to test this out when I get home now...
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

contadina

Ours really enjoy cima di rapa, fennel fronds, prickly pears, pomegranites, olives, melons, caterpillars and lizards.

Something I learned from bitter experience to never feed them is avocado. It's toxic to birds and many animals. I threw the flesh from a manky avocado in and the greediest chuck ate the lot. She died within minutes of eating it.

grubbysoles
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

That's pretty scary about the avacado. :shock: Mine enjoyed some peas and carrots the other day. They tried some banana yesterday but it wasn't as popular as the peas. I'll try the yogurt thing at the weekend, more for entertainment value than anything.

becks77

treats in the hen house are sunflower hearts ....absolute fav, marmite on toast cut up small and yoghurt with corn and sunflower hearts mixed in.
We mashed up some cooked potatoe peelings the other day but they weren't too fussed, perhaps they are spoiled?!
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"