What's the point??? (about rivercottage/ jamie at home)

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
red
A selfsufficientish Regular

and now Delia is at it... with her how to cheat thing.. using tinned mince meat etc. she did not come over very well on R4 this morning.. not having formed a proper opinion about food miles, and felt 'sorry for the earth' but likes fresh peas from Kenya etc... Delai used to be dependable for recipes for traditional proper cooking.. now she is saying its ok to use premade stuff ... :roll:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Cheezy

As a HFW fan ( I know sad, but there's something slightly shambolic about him, I like.) I remember watching the first series of River Cottage. The whole premise was that he was giving up the rat race living in London and he moved to Dorset in a rented cottage by the river, for 1 year to see if he could become as self sufficient as possible.

He enjoyed it so much he rented it for a second year...and series 2 was born.

While there he created the River Cottage brand for when he sold stuff at the markets. By the end of the second year he realised he needed a bigger place to expand his opporation, so the brand name stuck, but the cottage which was only ever rented did not. He now has several places etc good luck to him I say as I wish I could bloody do it.

As for J.O, I was a fan in the early days, his first cook book is still excellent, and If a new budding cook asked me which book they should get to start off I'd say that one, as it is easy and full of good recipes.
I got sick of him round the end of series 2. But he redeamed him self for me with the school dinners, and this new series is OK.(except I have wood oven envy :oops: ) Brian is the power behind the garden.
I heard he had to move after the second series, cos that flat he lived in became a tourist trap, which would annoy me.
But you live by media coverage....
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

theabsinthefairy

I love Hugh Furry Fingers.

:oops: :oops: :oops: sorry :oops: :oops: :oops:

kiery
Tom Good
Tom Good

I have really enjoyed Jamie at home. So what if he doesn't do all the work he is a busy man - school dinners, his fifteen restaurants etc.

Let's not be selfsufficientish snobs. I think if he gets just one person growing their own veg or thinking about how their food tastes then that is a result!

The end justifies the means. And anyway he obviously providing some local employment, hopefully with a tied house.

MsWildFlower
Tom Good
Tom Good

kiery wrote: ... Let's not be selfsufficientish snobs. I think if he gets just one person growing their own veg or thinking about how their food tastes then that is a result!...
I love it! Selfsufficient snobs. :mrgreen:

I agree with Kiery's train of thought. Jamie may actually get in the garden occasionally/do stuff under Brian's supervision so he may not be fibbing about it being his garden ... it's just that he has help. Lucky boy. Wish I had help :lol: .

Personally, the fact the Hugh didn't live in River Cottage for the full week doesn't bother me because he did for a huge part of the week and I'm glad he didn't subject his family to the media and that they were able to see their Daddy/husband while he was doing it. Somethings are not worth sacrificing.

Good to see the 'tall poppy syndrome' which is prevalent in NZ exists in the UK too ...
Sue

red

Berti's thread..and she is in NL.... :mrgreen:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Chickenlady

Andy Hamilton wrote: Given the choice would you want to subject your OH and family to having 3+ people coming into your house day in day out for the sake of making a living?
This happens to us every day, minus the camera crew though! (I am a childminder).

I love HFW wherever he lives. Jamie has jumped on the bandwagon, but I suppose if he encourages people to grow a bit of their own food it is not a bad thing. Monty Don did it first - does anybody remember 'Fork to Fork' on channel 4? He grew the stuff, his wife made it into yummy meals. I have the book, which is quite interesting.
Haste makes waste

contadina

I think that its a natural progression for chefs with a passion for food to get out of the kitchen and into the garden. I've always enjoyed Nigel Slaters columns in the Observer as he quite often mixes both garden and kitchen tips.

Millymollymandy

I loved Fork to Fork.

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: What's the point??? (about rivercottage/ jamie at home)

Berti wrote:After the recent remarks of people that JO was NOT at his own garden at his own place in the programme Jamie at Home, nor did HFW actually LIVE at Rivercottage.......I wondered WHAT IS THE POINT of making such programmes then, fooling people into thinking that these men were actually up to something?

And how about HFW now having a Rivercottage Headquarters and giving classes. Where does he live? I thought that was "just there"....

Geez, I feel so cheated. Or am I that naive???? ;)
berti
Having been in several TV programs, HFW included I can assure you it's all smoke, mirrors and slick editing it doesn't matter weather it's Jerremy Clarkson pretending to drive to the north pole or HFW not living at or anywhere near River Cottage. Its entertainment to sell advertising, which is why I very rarely watch it and what I do I allways take with a pinch of salt. :mrgreen:

cheers, Paul
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

ina

My - am I glad I don't have a telly! :roll:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

ina wrote:My - am I glad I don't have a telly! :roll:
you are so lucky Ina, I would gladly throw ours in the sea but mrs C and the dude would lynch me :? We have this argument every now and then, mrs C is watching something and I tell her it's cr4p ( because I'm a cantankerous old git ) to which she replies "it's escapism" I then say "but I don't want to escape, I like life just the way it is!", still I love her dearly :wink:

Cheers, Paul
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

ina

I need my escape, too - but I find it in books! Much better, I think, because it leaves more open to interpretation...
Ina

Millymollymandy

Re: What's the point??? (about rivercottage/ jamie at home)

camillitech wrote:
Berti wrote:After the recent remarks of people that JO was NOT at his own garden at his own place in the programme Jamie at Home, nor did HFW actually LIVE at Rivercottage.......I wondered WHAT IS THE POINT of making such programmes then, fooling people into thinking that these men were actually up to something?

And how about HFW now having a Rivercottage Headquarters and giving classes. Where does he live? I thought that was "just there"....

Geez, I feel so cheated. Or am I that naive???? ;)
berti
Having been in several TV programs, HFW included I can assure you it's all smoke, mirrors and slick editing it doesn't matter weather it's Jerremy Clarkson pretending to drive to the north pole or HFW not living at or anywhere near River Cottage. Its entertainment to sell advertising, which is why I very rarely watch it and what I do I allways take with a pinch of salt. :mrgreen:

cheers, Paul
OMG are you saying that the Top Gear team didn't drive to the North Pole? Where were they then? :shock: :shock: :shock:

ina

red wrote:and now Delia is at it... with her how to cheat thing.. using tinned mince meat etc. she did not come over very well on R4 this morning.. not having formed a proper opinion about food miles, and felt 'sorry for the earth' but likes fresh peas from Kenya etc... Delai used to be dependable for recipes for traditional proper cooking.. now she is saying its ok to use premade stuff ... :roll:
Look at this wonderful article in the Sunday Herald:

Delia has the perfect recipe for cooking up publicity
Roxanne Sorooshian on cookery books

CRANBERRIES ARE quaking, eggs are cracking up. Steel yourself for the Delia effect. For the queen of puddings - and every other course you care to dish up - has just published a new book.

http://www.sundayherald.com/oped/opinio ... licity.php
Ina