dumped

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
circlecross
A selfsufficientish Regular

dumped

sunday channel 4, reality show with a difference, by the look of it - people dumped on a dump and have to build a community out of stuff people chuck away! Might be interesting...
"yum, yum, piggy's bum!"

http://www.myspace.com/circlecross_73

bogit & legit
Tom Good
Tom Good

yepp loking forward to that 1 mate!!!

cheers steve
"You know, I think it's the life you lead, meself. Well, it's bound to take it's toll in't it? Fags....Booze....Fellers...ruin a Carthorse would that." - Hilda Ogden on Bet Lynch's fading beauty. Coronation Street 1982

eccentric_emma

i saw the first episode this evening. what did everyone think?

personally i thought although the idea was good, the programme seemed to be poorly organised and lacked direction. however i'm looking forward to tomorrows episode to see where they go with it. i must say i got pretty annoyed/upset with the guy who left early - i felt that he really was selfish in his attitude, even when he saw the consequences of his wastefulness. i think if you are faced with the sight of that landfill and still dont want to change....well, i was really upset at how little some people care about how they affect the planet and others.

any other thoughts?

also does anybody know how many more episodes there are?

Wormella
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.8045
longitude: -2.1154

I was more shocked that he was willing to spend £200 a month so he could have clean socks and pants every day - but at least he was going to make the effort to send his dirty ones to poorer countries.

We missed a bit on the middle - what do they do about food - I assume they forage but we couldn't work out if it was a proper dump or a Channel 4 they'll find what they need dump (al-la Scrap heap challenge).

Interesting experiment - Probably tune in if we catch it. Hubby was saying he'd probably be fine with most things, just not the food situation :pale:

Oh - and Channel 4 Dumped Offical site
I'm increasingly of the belief that any shops situated on or near retails parks only serve to make people unhappy.

Millymollymandy

They were given a trailer full of food - more than £400 worth for the week. This was to make the point that the average household in the UK throws away this amount of money's worth of food every year. They said they were not going to deprive people of food, and obviously they can't scavenge rotting food for health and safety reasons!

The rubbish in their section isn't the same rubbish as in the proper landfill site next door - but it has been put there specially to show just what sort of things people actually DO throw out, amongst other things, the coffin!!! I did think there were rather a lot of convenient pallets all stacked in one pile, but this is to show just how many do get thrown away when we all know how perfectly usable and recyclable they really are.

I think the burning question here is - just how many of you would have been up for this challenge knowing what it is all about now?

I don't think I would, just because I can't sleep on hard floors!

Stonehead

Re: dumped

circlecross wrote:sunday channel 4, reality show with a difference, by the look of it - people dumped on a dump and have to build a community out of stuff people chuck away! Might be interesting...
I didn't watch it and have no intention of watching as it trivialises the plight of people who really do live like this in Rio, Manila, etc etc etc. And before people take me to task, consider the elderly members of my family who grew up as children in a tin shack with dirt floors and who really did spend their days fossicking on a rubbish tip for clothes, furniture, toys and most of the other things they needed.

Yes, we need to draw attention to waste, but doing it in this way? No thanks.

Moomintroll
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Stonehead wrote:
circlecross wrote:sunday channel 4, reality show with a difference, by the look of it - people dumped on a dump and have to build a community out of stuff people chuck away! Might be interesting...
I didn't watch it and have no intention of watching as it trivialises the plight of people who really do live like this in Rio, Manila, etc etc etc. And before people take me to task, consider the elderly members of my family who grew up as children in a tin shack with dirt floors and who really did spend their days fossicking on a rubbish tip for clothes, furniture, toys and most of the other things they needed.

Yes, we need to draw attention to waste, but doing it in this way? No thanks.
I agree with you.

I put something about this in the news section not realising there was a TV section.

I didn't watch it either.

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

I completely agree with Stonehead. My first thought was that people have to do this day in day out for living so of course it's possible but not something any of us want to have to do.

I don't think the programme will do much good - as moomintroll pointed out why do you have to get and be dirty to highlight the issue and it's a mega turnoff for the population who throw away because they don't want to deal with dirty stuff!

However that said just had a brainwave you could do a TV show along the concept lines of that phone book advert wheretthe man's dumped in an empty room with a phone book and a phone. You have your starting point and create a life and comfort from something like freecycle/skips before it arrives at the dump... that would be more itneresting/appealing plus it would lead folk to be more innovative as their expert wanted.

I'll watch it to see what happens but don't hold out much hope for any great revelations.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have mixed feelings about it.

If they were going to make a point with the food, then why not go round the back of the local supermarkets and get what they're throwing away? Then it is rubbish food that they need to live on.

If you're really going to ask people to 'survive', then why not get in people who might have half a clue about how to do it, rather than some stupid people and a load of 'experts'.

Its sensationalist news again.

circlecross

I think that it has to be a bit "sensational", in order to get people to watch it! Hopefully, people who do watch it, as Big Brother has finished, may think "oh my gods, how much crap do we throw away, isn't that terrible, I think I'll change my ways". If C4 wanted to show how it is in real life, then yes, I imagine they would show news footage of Rio, manilla etc.

I have no vested interest in the success of the show, and prob won't watch it to its end, but I think it is a step in the right direction to try and shame Britain into throwing less stuff away. I don't necessarily think it is intended to mock anyone's plight, rather is part of the "green is the new black" (which does get my anglo-nubian).
"yum, yum, piggy's bum!"

http://www.myspace.com/circlecross_73

dh ver1.0
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Stonehead wrote:I didn't watch it and have no intention of watching as it trivialises the plight of people who really do live like this in Rio, Manila, etc etc etc. And before people take me to task, consider the elderly members of my family who grew up as children in a tin shack with dirt floors and who really did spend their days fossicking on a rubbish tip for clothes, furniture, toys and most of the other things they needed.

I just don't follow that argument - I don't think it's trivialsing their plight any more than those of us who go camping are trivialising the plight of tent-dwelling refugees the world over.
circlecross wrote:part of the "green is the new black" (which does get my anglo-nubian).
I'm seeing more and more disquiet amongst green-minded people about this. I understand the corporate greenwash issues, but in principle, if "green" is garnering mass-appeal, why can't we all be pleased that more and more people are developing a higher environmental awareness (isn't that what we campaign for, after all?) and try to capitalise on this interest, instead of complaining about people jumping on the bandwagon?

Stonehead

dh ver1.0 wrote:[I just don't follow that argument - I don't think it's trivialsing their plight any more than those of us who go camping are trivialising the plight of tent-dwelling refugees the world over.
So you have the cameras rolling and a TV audience of millions as you set up camp in a make-believe refugee camp where you have to "make do" in primitive conditions - while enjoying the luxury and support of a medical team, psychologist, good food and water in the background? And knowing it will be over in a few days - or when you decide enough is enough?

dh ver1.0
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Stonehead wrote:
dh ver1.0 wrote:[I just don't follow that argument - I don't think it's trivialsing their plight any more than those of us who go camping are trivialising the plight of tent-dwelling refugees the world over.
So you have the cameras rolling and a TV audience of millions as you set up camp in a make-believe refugee camp where you have to "make do" in primitive conditions - while enjoying the luxury and support of a medical team, psychologist, good food and water in the background? And knowing it will be over in a few days - or when you decide enough is enough?
In a sense, yes (apart from the lack of a TV crew, and I'm not sure how that part is relevant). When I camp, I am enjoying having a simpler lifestyle for a change, but remain fully aware that there are those living in winterised tents in Kashmir / Pisco who have no choice but to hope their lot improves one day. I do it in the full knowledge that a crack NHS team and pub are probably not that far away. For me, it is indeed a matter of being under canvas until I choose otherwise. I just don't see how either my scenario or the programme's are trivialising other peoples' lives. I don't compare my existence to those less fortunate, and haven't seen any of that in the show so far either - indeed, people on the show seem to be viewing it simply as a televised series of tasks, with little or no reference to people who genuinely scavenge for a living.

Millymollymandy

Well I'm enjoying the programme and there is at least one contestant who knows what landfill is now, because he'd never heard of it before. :shock: And now there are a lot of people who probably never heard of composting loos who are learning about them too!

cir3ngirl
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Camping at the weekend my boys went for the composting loo rather than the plastic thing everytime. I was recording the prog for the boys to watch but the swearing is just sooo bad I won't let then see it. Which is a shame.