Grow your own veg!-Carol Klein

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
Fizzy Izzy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:52 pm

quercusrobur wrote:Much better was The Alloment series made by ITV West and avaulable on DVD http://www.allotment.info/ which was far more realistic, showing allotmenteering 'warts and all', failures as well as successes... I'd highly recomend it, sorry if its come up before but I'm new here...
Looks interesting! Has anyone else seen this? Is it worth the money to buy the DVD? I would love an alloment, but there is a waiting list where I am...
Smile :)

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:31 pm

Depends if you want to watch a bunch of people on allomtents or not :lol: It was a pretty good series and much of it was filmed here in Bristol. As with most things you will pick up some tips on it and you might enjoy it.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

quercusrobur
Tom Good
Tom Good

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:54 pm

Andy Hamilton wrote:Depends if you want to watch a bunch of people on allomtents or not :lol: It was a pretty good series and much of it was filmed here in Bristol. As with most things you will pick up some tips on it and you might enjoy it.
Another good thing about this series was that it went beyond allotments, including things like LETS, permaculture, community orchards, etc, etc. In fact I noticed Peter Andrews of Ecologic Books (who's ad appears on the homepage of SSish) wandering about in a few scenes...

My only gripe with the series was the annoying little 4 note piano motiff at the end of every scene change which really winds you up after a while, but then maybe I shouldn't have watched the whole 3 DVD's practically back to back...
www.spiralseed.co.uk

"Integrated Design for Local Environmental Resources"

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:04 am

quercusrobur wrote: In fact I noticed Peter Andrews of Ecologic Books (who's ad appears on the homepage of SSish) wandering about in a few scenes...
You know Peter too then, yep we swapped from amazon books to him in the end as he certainly seems the most ethical book seller on the net. Not a bad bloke either, he's owed me a cup of tea for ages now keep meaning to pop in on him.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Enormous Sage
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:03 am

red wrote: all the wooping and giggling over parsnips....
Now that's a phrase you don't hear very often. :lol:

I did watch this for the first time on Friday and found the whole program to be a bit bizzare. It seemed to focus more on the presenter going "oooohhh! / Ahhhhhh!" whenever she was given a new type of salad leaf to try, while her co-presenter hung around in the background looking slightly embarassed.

It started off promisingly, saying "you can grow vegetables anywhere!" but then didn't tell you how. At all.

Bit of a missed opportunity, shame really.